• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pre-Cup swap

Wow! Yea that's a lot to spend, right around $50 each. The engine is a military 6.2. So I guess if the stock ones are not cracked or anything I'll just run them.

For the guys that have had them machinced bigger. How much did that cost you?

100 bucks sounds lot more reasonable. I'm sure I could find a machine shop to do it where I live but having someone who's done it before would be prefered. So who are you. Guys sending them to?

CAN u change a square type Precup out for a dimond style without having to machine the head?

Technically the precup is supposed to be proud of the head surface by a couple of thousandths. Most machine shops grind the heads flat with the cups in place. Other than that yes. WW said he'd seen a difference in the older heads but he's the only one I've heard mention it.

You can change any precup out to whatever you want to do for your build.
smaller precups do better with n/a or smaller turbos. When the smaller precups are used with bigger turbo- the smoke .

I forget who posted up measurements of older 6.2 heads and precups and them being different from 6.5 heads and precups on here. I believe it was the diameter of the precup itself into the head. When in doubt measure them. If one is dealing with pre 1992 6.2 heads and wanting to put better precups in them... Get different 6.5 heads. I have seen replacement 6.2 engines with 6.5 casting numbers on the heads. GM's insanity of producing 6.2's while also producing the punched out 6.5 makes no sense to me.

WW is correct. The early 6.2 cups are a different size when compared to the 6.5 cups. I have the dimensions written down some where.

Back