• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PPE tune questions

BKDespain

Recruit
Reaction score
I have a few questions about what tune is better for my motor based on a few observations.

I generally run my PPE on lvl2 and 3. I drive about 250 mi. one way to work. My starting elevation is around 5200' and peak out at around 9500'. I end up at around 7000'. During my trip I have 3 good steep climbs and a set of switchbacks. Running lvl2, I see egts upwards of 1200*-1250* on most of the steep climbs. I usually will drop to 5th, 4th on some hills, to keep egts around 1000*-1100*. With the PPE on set on 3 I barely hit 1150* on the same hills and I am still pulling 6th gear with power to spare.

So my question is this: Is it better for the motor and/or pistons to run a hotter tune with more timing and see lower egts or run a milder tune that gets hotter egts and lugs the motor more?

Just curious to what you guys know.:grouphug:

Here is whats happening. On a lower tune, the truck is having to work harder to move its mass over certain terrain. However, with a hotter tune, it has to work less, thus keeping EGT temps down. I say crank it all the way up, use a gentle foot, and you should have nice and low EGT temps, with plenty of power to spare.

250 miles each way though?!?! And you do this every day??

Thats what I was thinking. I use a fairly gentle foot on lvl3. I keep an eye on my TC slip constantly in the upper gears.

I stay at work for about 5-7 days at a time, go home for a couple days then go back for a another week or so. It gets old as you could imagine. Thanks for the input.

try the highest level and report back your findings. I think you too will be surprised with the results. You got the shift kit in there so, let it fly!

try the highest level and report back your findings. I think you too will be surprised with the results. You got the shift kit in there so, let it fly!

Mike: Will the advanced timing on the highest level cause issues for him during the Utah winter?

I have a Hot +2 and was thinking about backing it off from the 350 tune for the winter, but your comment above intrigued me.

I loaded my stock tune back in the truck yesterday. The first time I have ran stock EVER. I have put 19k mi on the truck since Feb. and has always been tuned. EGT's run a little warmer than lvl 1 and about the same on lvl2 and for sure hotter than lvl 3. Truck still has good power. Kind of surprised me. I get 1 mpg better than lvl3 and 1, and a little less than 1mpg on lvl 2. My TC started unlocking in 5th and 6th, so I thought I would try stock. Egts will still hit 1350+* stock. I don't like seeing those temps with the history LBZ pistons have. I guess only time will tell.

The advanced timing should not cause any issues, even in the winter. However, you really have to have a light foot when using a stock trans and the highest level. I would not suggest anyone go above level 3 if you have a heavy foot. But, every vehicle reacts different so my suggestion would be to try it for a tank, and see what happens.

We just got 6" of snow in Wyoming and still snowing so I will try it when the roads dry up a little. I can tell my TC is getting weaker with the truck tuned. I guess I will see what happens.

lv 4 tune gets me about the same mileage as 2. My TC hates levl 4! Backed it off to lvl 2.

Back