• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PPE dyno # ?'s

BKDespain

Recruit
Reaction score
What kind of numbers does level 2-3 (90 &160) put down? I have heard that 4 (225) puts down around 440. Anyone dynoed these tunes?

At Twisted Innovation in Ashtabula OH last year, there was a guy with a 07 Classic LBZ running a PPE Hot 2 with a 4" catback and a K&N CAI that pulled about 425 hp. One guru told me he needed more fuel (lift pump) and he would have done better. He pulled first with it stacked with a plug in box (don't remember which one) and he ran much less. Pat from DPP might remember more.

Thats interesting because a Predator 120 lays down around 435 and 750....On an LBZ...

I guess for the price of PPE, I would expect more...

Unless I'm missing something.

I have never dynoed mine, I would be curious to see both tuners run on the same truck, same conditions and location, and compare HP, TQ and EGTs. I would think that(440) would be about right for the 225 tune.

The PPE 330 put down 446/820 on my LLY, but I was still loosing rail pressure... :rolleyes5:

No fuel is getting my the PPE plug, so that means either my Regulator or CP3 is not playing nice.... Happy days....

I was thinking the 160 should be around 400-420 rwhp on my truck with the size of tires and wheels. I loaded the 160 tune a couple days ago and I let the tranny learn it. Alli def. knows there is more there than the 90. I have a transgo jr. yet to be installed. Do yall think the 160 would be safe with a transgo jr or just run the 90? Anyone have dyno numbers for the 90 tune?

Thats interesting because a Predator 120 lays down around 435 and 750....On an LBZ...

I wonder how much I'm off of those numbers with my '06 LLY on the Predator 120. Maybe 380-390hp / 700 tq.
I was thinking the 160 should be around 400-420 rwhp on my truck with the size of tires and wheels. I loaded the 160 tune a couple days ago and I let the tranny learn it. Alli def. knows there is more there than the 90. I have a transgo jr. yet to be installed. Do yall think the 160 would be safe with a transgo jr or just run the 90? Anyone have dyno numbers for the 90 tune?

If the 160 tune is putting 400-420hp to the ground, I would think you should be fine with the Transgo Jr. in the Alli. Might be pushing it with out the upgrade.

I've been told repeatedly that the Predator tunes usually put down more HP than they claim. In fact, I've been told they're usually under rated by about 10-15 HP. Of course, I can't substantiate any of this...

That was a nice dyno run. I saw a Predator on 120 get right at 400 hp once, but most others ended up in the high 300s.

That was a nice dyno run. I saw a Predator on 120 get right at 400 hp once, but most others ended up in the high 300s.

On what generation truck?

Ive seen an LBZ put down 332/620 bone stock. Even the latest Diesel Power mag had a write up comparing that vs a Powerstroke and I couldnt believe the stock numbers...To me thats amazing considering that an 04.5-05 LLY generally puts down around 240-250 and 500.

On an LBZ, Predator 85 is capable of 400/700. Right around there, give or take a few...And thats as much power as one wants to put through a stock tranny. Ive been lucky so far but then again, I dont beat the shit out of it either.

Ive also seen dyno sheets of an 06 LLY put down 295 to the wheels....Kinda odd considering its only rated at 310...So, either those were under rated or the dyno lied or both...

I liked the PPE personally. My mileage was exactly the same as the Predator. I didnt run it over the 90 tune though. I wanted to try the 160 but I kept getting a CEL every time I tuned it for that so I said screw it and left it on 90. I grew rather fond of the throttle response of the Predator 85 and so far, nothing really makes me quite as happy as that. Switching tunes often though makes me like and dislike some of each...Predator short shifts...I never noticed it until I started running Hypertech. Predator feels like a Ford EPA tuned vehicle, like most of Fords vehicles are tuned for mileage...They short shift but I cant say as I minded that much. I got so used to it I actually missed it. I also thought Hypertech shifted into 5th or 6th too soon, especially if I was still accelerating and wanted to keep a lower gear for power...

Hypertech is also a very nice tune for an LLY and LBZ since I've run both. I dont think Hypertech should be taken lightly anymore though. They lay down some power and its soooo smooth....I also dont really think they're tranny safe...I dont really think any programmer is tranny safe...Its additional wear and tear and it'll wear out sooner; plain and simple. I wanted to dyno the Hypertech tunes using my Hyperpac live data this summer but a new job and moving down here, I lost that chance...Now with my new EGR and evidently the latest reflash, Hypertech wont even load. I get error codes and it freezes up halfway through...

Hypertech shifting is terrible IMHO. But it is worry free towing power which a lot of People like/need. Hands down PPE is the best shifting most driveable/ powerful tune Ive owned. Been running it on the 300 Horse tune since last November with 0 probs and i even tow lightly with it on that tune. ( Ive Had Hypertech, Edge Hot Juice and tried Bullydog)

Nick,
Get the Hypertech Updated on the software version. I had to update my ppe after a trip to the stealer. WOuldn't load and locked up. got the latest version and no problems.

My Hot +2 on 350 ran 514/1042 with the mods in my sig. My truck stock with just exhaust was 333/605 a year before.

Thats a good question!

I was thinking about getting my truck dynoed for the first time next month. It would be interesating to see what the gain is. :coolgleamA:

GM and PPE use fly wheel #'s to advertise HP. Subtract 20% from both and you will be very close to dyno RWHP#'s.
Predator (diablo sport) uses RWHP#'s
My LB7 stock usually dyno's about 240 RWHP. With the pred 120 it does about 360.

GM and PPE use fly wheel #'s to advertise HP. Subtract 20% from both and you will be very close to dyno RWHP#'s.
Predator (diablo sport) uses RWHP#'s
My LB7 stock usually dyno's about 240 RWHP. With the pred 120 it does about 360.

With that calculation, my truck should have dynoed somewhere near 512hp, but seeing as how my rail pressure was under 20k almost the entire run (commanded was 23K), that's probably why mine dynoed low.

There are a million variables when dynoing...but the 20% for drive train loss has been proven many times over.

There are a million variables when dynoing...but the 20% for drive train loss has been proven many times over.

Do you know if that is for stock wheels/tires sizes? Just curious because mine is far from stock size and weight.

That has a lot to do with what drive train you are using, different axles ratios, wheel size transmitions all play in to what the drive train loss is. So to say that every truck has 20% drive train loss is a broad gemeralization, that si not so acurate.

Back