• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PPE air box MOD

I guess I came across to crass. I was a lot younger once upon a time and if it didn't rumble and Bark loud when you got on it it wasn't me. My, how times change. i was looking for a very informed thread from the referral I got on the PPE air Box Mod thread and I was really disappointed.

My apologies if I offended anyone.

Thanks, mike for bringing that to my attention.

WTF there Barry? That reply didn't sound like you... Bad day?

My exhaust does not drone at all, and my wife thinks that it is very quiet. I left the muffler on for that reason.

It is a hair more rumbly than stock in normal driving. When I get on it, though, it is pretty throaty during hard acceleration.

I have a resonator on mine to help with the resonance. I started with a cat back because I dont like loud exhausts at all. After a while, I went with a full turbo back system. The resonators are mini mufflers that sit where the cat would sit on a stock system. I think it's very tame but has a nice, deep, throaty growl to it when you get in it.

Here's what the inside of an MBRP muffler looks like. Those little bumps are louvers and the openings are on the exit side of the exhaust. The exhaust gasses flow in the direction the camera is facing. The exhaust is designed to run over the louvers, not into them creating turbulence.

Also, you can see my resonator. It looks identical to the muffler, just quite a bit shorter. All in all, its nice, deep and throaty and not loud inside at all.

Attachments

• resonator.jpg
    resonator.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 6
  • MBRP.jpg
    MBRP.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3
So Unit453 did I miss it? What system are you running or did you fabricate your own? I went back an read the thread again. I think you are running an MBRP sys. is it 4" or larger? Is the resonator part of the kit or did you add it extra?

I'm running MBRP. I ran a Magnaflow on my 04.5 initially and left it alone for 3 years before the drone started to annoy me. I ended up switching to an MBRP muffler. The MBRP muffler was 8" longer than the Magnaflow so right off the bat, my drone was gone. So, when I traded in, not knowing anything about the LBZ and how quiet it was, the natural thing for me to do was purchase an MBRP kit. Now, I couldn't be happier. I have a 4" and that's plenty. Don't waste your money on a 5" kit. Thats more for bragging rights. Some say that a 5" will be a deeper tone but you're not gonna gain anything with a 5" that a 4" wont do for you. The only difference is the price difference between the two.

The full 4" kit is in the $350 range, depending on who you get it from and what kind of deal they give to you. I'm a stickler about noise and don't like a lot of it. Thats why when I bought my kit, I bought a resonator (separate from the kit) and had it installed when they did my full kit. It's super tame and does not drone at all. In fact, at normal cruising speed, you'll never know you have an exhaust on there at all. These trucks have come a long ways over the years so they're really not loud at all. Your turbo will be loud as shit but most of us seem to like that part.

The bottom line is that all the exhaust systems do the same thing. They all get rid of the cat if you so choose and open it up to a 4" pipe from the turbo back. They all sound good. They all make the turbo loud. They all reduce EGT's and do produce more power. A cat back has been dyno proven to increase 11 h.p. over stock. The cat is relatively free flowing but the stock muffler was the real restriction, not the cat. So, 11 h.p. over stock is pretty decent with a cat back. Take the cat off and you'll get more. Most people had their mileage jump too simply because of the lack of restriction. It's gonna breathe better, just like an air intake or PPE air box mod. It inhales better so in turn it's gonna want to exhale better.

my last ride
737170544_Xz3BU-M.jpg

was a 98 2500 4x4 6.5TD Burb. It was a Southern Custom Conversion. I kick myself for selling it as it would have been a great D/A conversion.

The MBRP 4" system was exactly what I was thinking. I will have to get a resonator for the kit.

Back