• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Powertrain Control Module

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
Whatever it is, I have a new one. :sosp: Mine died. Under warranty, life is good. I took it in for a check engine light on. I figured the light was from the "Service Brake System Message" that I got last week. There was a code that said something wasn't communicating with something else..I know, pretty vague, I'll post the repairs done when I get the invoice in the mail.

It the computer that runs the engine in your truck, know as PCM, ECM and a few other names. In your truck it a Bosch controller.

Okay, so is ECM synonymous with PCM? I know there is a TCM for the transmission and a BCM for all the interior/body related stuff.

yes. depends on how old you are and what industry you grew up in but i always refer to it as the ecm. others call it a pcm. either will work.

PCM is the wrong name for a duramax truck but some use it anyways. PowerTrain Control Module controls the entire Powertrain(ie: engine and transmission). We really have an ECM = Engine Control Module since it only controls the engine.

Okay, that was my understanding. I was familiar with the term ECM describing what we had. When the service guy called it a PCM...my brain hiccuped and said w-t-f?

PCM is the wrong name for a duramax truck but some use it anyways. PowerTrain Control Module controls the entire Powertrain(ie: engine and transmission). We really have an ECM = Engine Control Module since it only controls the engine.

exactly.

gassers are the only ones that have a "PCM". (well the 8.1 in the HD trucks doesnt)

I mean it IS splitting hairs, and for the most part you can interchange the two and sitll have people understand what you are talking about, but technically there is a difference between the two, ECM and PCM as steve said.

The Chevy SSR truck from 2005 on has a 32 bit Bosch ECM and TCM. Prior model years used a 16 bit Delphi PCM to control both the engine and transmission. Same for the Chevy Trailblazer and GMC Envoy.

The Chevy SSR truck from 2005 on has a 32 bit Bosch ECM and TCM. Prior model years used a 16 bit Delphi PCM to control both the engine and transmission. Same for the Chevy Trailblazer and GMC Envoy.

Ray are you sure about that? I was almost positive the 5.3 trailblazer and SSR used a [delphi] E40 ECM and T42 TCM....

I think the only gasser that uses a bosch ECM is the Z06 vette

ben

Yeap, I know for a fact that the 2005 and newer SSR (GMT368) uses the 32 bit Bosch ECM and TCM. The 2003 & 2004 models used the Delphi controllers on Class II, but for the 2005MY GM went to the 32 bit Bosch controllers running on GM LAN.

You are correct in that the Corvette used the 32 bit Bosch controller before the SSR did.

BTW - The SSR got the 6.0L engine at start of production for the 2005 MY.

Yeap, I know for a fact that the 2005 and newer SSR (GMT368) uses the 32 bit Bosch ECM and TCM. The 2003 & 2004 models used the Delphi controllers on Class II, but for the 2005MY GM went to the 32 bit Bosch controllers running on GM LAN.

You are correct in that the Corvette used the 32 bit Bosch controller before the SSR did.

BTW - The SSR got the 6.0L engine at start of production for the 2005 MY.

ray I respectfully disagree. I still am 99.9998% positive you are wrong.

05+ TB's and SSR's use an E40. Same as the early C6 vettes.

ben

Ben, I believe you are correct in that the 2005 & 2006 SSR use the E40 ECM and the T42 TCM. They communicate over GMLAN and the rest of the modules are CLASS-2. You need a CANDi module with the Tech2 in order to talk to them.

It's been over 3 years since I've worked on them. I was under the impression all along that the E40 and T42 are 32 bit modules made by Bosch. Who makes the E40?

they are indeed 32-bit, but they are still made by Delphi. ;)

ben
OK, My bad! I knew that the 2005 & 2006 SSR use a 32 bit ECM & TCM, but as I said, it's been over 3 years since I worked on them, so I couldn't remember if it was Delphi or Bosch. At that time I was also heavily involved with the launch of the 2006 LLY G Vans and I know those are Bosch ECMs, so that's where confusion arose for me.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. :cheers2:

Back