• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering Resevoir Blowing Oil out of Cap

nobby

Old Timey Diesel Guy
Reaction score
So today start truck and let it idle for 10 mins. Hop in press brake and have solid pedal couple more presses and correct feel comes back. Pop hood and find fluid level low and evidence that fluid was pushed out of the cap and there was some fresh oil leaked out of one of the capped ports of the hydroboost. I suspected a blown hydroboost accumulator but I still have the same amount of residual pressure engine off and the can on the hydroboost is not loose.

Further inspection find the plastic female connector for the EVO on the power steering pump is very loose and I suspect that should not be like that. Can a faulty EVO cause an evacuation of fluid such as this.

Cheers
Nobby

I thinking that the EVO allowing full fluid flow at high speeds would not cause it to evacuate fluid. Reading the manual it states that in a fault condition the EVO is instructed to go full flow for maximum steering whatever the wheel speed. So I am continuing to think that a faulty EVO system will not cause fluid evacuation.

so wouldn't that cause more fluid movement at hiway speed? Also is there any diff in the pump itself w/EVO than non?

A faulty EVO sensor can make you lose sudden momentairely steering control(very scary) en can send you either in the ditch or in opcoming traffic.
I would Disconnect the evo at the PS pump(see if the fluid stays were it is supposed to be),it won't hurt anything and keeps you in control at all times.
I have the EVO disconnected for the last 2 years,..never had a problem.

Back