• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power steering pump

heyman

KJV 1611
Reaction score
I went to buy a new power steering pump yesterday and I was asked if I had an evo component and a magnum pre-filter. I checked at napa, bumper to bumper, and advance and all the counter pukes there could tell me was :confused:. Could somebody please enlighten me as to what these items are and their job on the vehicle please?!?

What exactly is this "EVO" piece? some kind of sensor? I'm guessing the Magnum pre filter is some kind of filter for the pump?

What exactly is this "EVO" piece? some kind of sensor? I'm guessing the Magnum pre filter is some kind of filter for the pump?

"To improve the feel of a power steering system at all speeds and to make the system more fuel economical, conventional power steering systems may use electronic variable orifice (EVO) power steering systems. In an EVO power steering system, the fixed orifice of a power steering system is removed in the pump assembly and replaced with an EVO actuator. The EVO actuator is a flow control valve that is threaded onto the outlet of the pump which regulates flow rate as a function of vehicle speed as determined by an algorithm control. The EVO system works by providing high flow rates to the steering gear at low vehicle speeds (EVO actuator fully open) and lower flow rates as vehicle speeds increase (EVO actuator begins to close). A Hand Wheel Speed Sensor is typically used to in conjunction with the EVO system to increase steering assistance when it senses that the vehicle operator is making an evasive maneuver. The excess flow, which the pump produces in high or low speed situations, is normally bypassed internally within the pump."

IF you have EVO I don't hink you can just replace the pump without the entire resevoir. No cheap way out, as the EVO unit is welded to the hardline, and when I tried, it leaked. I took it out 4 times before finally buying a complete new EVO unit for the 5th and final leak free install. That was a sucky weekend.

Back