• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering pump flush(with Hydroboost off)

Problem Child

Non Diesel mechanic
Reaction score
My Hydroboost was leaking bad on my 95 Suburban Diesel 4x4. After talking myself out of torching the truck while trying to remove the booster, I finally have it out. The new booster won't be here for a couple of days so now I guess I need to flush the power steering system. Can this be done with the booster removed ?? If so any instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a filter ordered...... There are three lines coming off the booster, one line with the short piece of hose that I'm assuming is the low pressure that goes back to about middle of the PS pump reservoir, one line goes to the booster to the bottom of the reservoir and one line goes from the booster to the steering box. Which line is the best place for the filter ?? Thanks

Take a look at THIS THREAD. It's for a GMT800 but it should be adaptable to your truck also. I believe you could flush with a power bleeder tool but otherwise use the new pump.

With the hydro boost not there I would try this get a piece of hose and connect the 2 high pressure lines together. Push the inverted nut back and take off the little o ring off the end of the metal line (go get 2 more for assembly). Then slip a hose over the end and hose clamp it gently. OR you could set the booster back in there don't have to bolt it up just using it to attach the high pressure lines back together you can leave off the return line.

1. Siphon as much old fluid out of the PS reservoir as you can.

2. Jack the front up until the tires are off the ground and LEAVE THE ENGINE OFF then turn the wheel one direction to lock slowly and siphon out fluid again.

3. Fill reservoir and turn lock to lock slowly back to center recheck fluid level and repeat lock to lock several times.

You can repeat steps 1-3 a few times and the fluid will clear up.

On installing new Hydro booster attach the pressure lines before cranking it up turn lock to lock several times to try and get steering air out before starting. The accumulator will still be empty. Leave the return line off. Crank over the engine don't start 5 second bursts 2-3 x then press brake pedal slowly 3x.

Then you can crank up and do like Mike with a hose to a bucket and power flush it until you think its clean enough it shouldn't take long depending on how much you flushed it before. There is a cooler and its not like you drained it completely so it takes a bit of flushing to completely flush it.

There are several youtube videos on similar techniques.

Leave the return line off. Crank over the engine don't start 5 second bursts 2-3 x then press brake pedal slowly 3x.

Then you can crank up and do like Mike with a hose to a bucket and power flush it until you think its clean enough it shouldn't take long depending on how much you flushed it before. There is a cooler and its not like you drained it completely so it takes a bit of flushing to completely flush it.

I mean leave off the return line hose but put on another one lead it to a bucket. Each time you pump the brake pedal it will spurt a few ounces out when you release the pedal.

Thanks guys. One question..... if I remove the Serpentine belt, could I turn the pump by hand to flush the system??

Thanks guys. One question..... if I remove the Serpentine belt, could I turn the pump by hand to flush the system??

I don't see why not but you'll have to crank the heck out of it unless you could get a drill on there

Sent from my SCH-I535

Please tell me the new Hydroboost comes with some fluid already in it because when I bolted the Master Cylinder to the Hydroboost, fluid came out the low pressure side of the Hydroboost.

I recently put one on and had some oil/brake fluid/ or power steering fluid come out of the weep hole on bottom. I noticed it the next day or so. Its cast iron so yeah I guess they must oil them up so they don't rust on the shelf. Might test them too and don't clean out the test oil as it serves as protectant?

Which line is the best place for the filter ??
The "return line" off of the power steering box is the best place.

If you attach the filter to the return line off the brake booster it is a restriction that can delay or prevent the brakes from being released.

Which line is the best place for the filter ??
The "return line" off of the power steering box is the best place.

If you attach the filter to the return line off the brake booster it is a restriction that can delay or prevent the brakes from being released.

Would that be the line that comes from the cooler that goes back to the PS pump??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back