• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering Pump Confirmation

gardnerteam

Cantankerous Old Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Damn - 93,000 perfect problem free miles, then bang - 2 headgaskets out as under another thread, and now, 200 miles later, the power steering is acting up. Just trying to confirm from the experts here that the Power Steering is the most likely, and no the hydraboost.
First, makes a unusual noise when turning sometimes (both hot and cold - getting worse), steering seems to catch or get hard on occasion, brake pedal seems to take more pressure. Found reservoir didn't register on the stick when I got it back from the dealer for the first head go round (waiting to see if still using antifreeze before start 2nd round), so filled it. Actually overfilled it - didn't change, drove it 30 miles, then read here that not overfilling is vital, so pumped some out and took it to just below the cold line when it was cold. Slowly getting worse as to catching, noise, etc. Pump noise, not belt (has Gatorback about a month old). So guys, diagnose. Agree it is 99% chance pump at about $150 plus labor if I don't do it myself. $150 for rebuilt - haven't checked dealer for new price. Would NOT have dealer do it at $100+ an hour. Thanks in advance.

If its whining, its the pump. A/C compressors tend to whine too when the bearings go bad. I also wouldnt put a remanned anything in it. Buy it new. I've had terrible luck with remanufactured parts. Pretty much every rebuilt part I've ever bought on every vehicle I've ever owned has failed almost right away. It only took me 10 years to learn to stop buying that crap, pony up and buy new parts.

That bites, I am with Nick on this...No reman stuff for me when it come to brakes and under the hood stuff. I feel blessed, I have over 252k miles on mine and still have the original brakes

X3 on this. It is easy to change the pump if you have the right tools. The new "not reman" pump most likely will not come with the pulley so a good puller will be required as not to damage yours when removing it. Be sure to line up the new pulley in the same location on the pump shaft to keep in alignment. I have always found that moving the vehicle before you start steering is much easier on the pump and obviously the steering linkage. How much it helps i dont know but i have never snapped off the pump shaft nor wore out a pump yet but time will tell. My ECSB has only 76k on it now and the RCLB is at 39k so i have a bit of driving to see if it helps.

Thanks - I spend 10 years in the auto parts business with 11 stores and a warehouse, and have been in many remanufacturing plants, including Delco, carter, cardone, etc. The workers are poorly trained (good people, mostly hispanic, but good workers) and the are so rushed for production little care was taken. Rebuilt carbs were the worst, alternators and starters next, water pumps also bad, although the difference in a rebuilt water pump in those days vs new was the new TRW has a ceramic seal, which often broke in shipment, where the rebuilt had a neoprene seal which didn't. Didn't have a lot of problems with PS pumps, but I'm going for new anyway.
You want to laugh at a kicker to my situation -- this afternoon my loonie neighbor and friend drove a good sized trencher up on my tilt trailer, over the front end, and into the back of my truck. Tailgate gone, my 1/2 thick bumper not even hurt, rt taillight gone, but lucky my new canopy was not touched. Sheesh. If it weren't for bad luck lately, I'd have no luck at all. Think I'll buy a Dodge or Ford - what did I just say? Wash my mouth out with diarrhea. NEVER. Am looking for a 06 = 07 LBZ LT3 Sunroof Longbed, possibly a dually with under 20k miles on it.

You should be able to get a good price on a new factory pump by shopping around the vendor list or if not then check out gmpartsdirect.com
Can't help you find a new neighbor...):h

So - NO - it wasn't the power steering pump. Still doing the same thing. Noisy sometimes for part of turning, and catching a lot while turning corners, backing up and turning, etc. Mechanic (and a good trusted one) says doubtful it is the hydroboost, but he thinks it is the steering gear box - says a lot of problems with Fords, Dodge, and GM on 3/4 and up trucks. So, what is the experience here. Got to admit - I am baffled. I've had trucks with over 500K and never had this. Suggestions gladly accepted and opinions valued
!

Steering box was replaced on my '05 D/A under warrantee but that was just because it was leaking bad. IIRC, it's a real expensive unit new. I'd be inclined to think that's what it is based on how you describe it. Does it bind up cold and warm? On and off the ground? Could be a steering related suspension component like a tie rod or ball joint too.

Binds cold and warm. Haven't tried it off the ground - will do. Front end was aligned about 10,000 ago and everything looked like new. Will check. At least I found a deal on a rebuilt steering gear. X GMC dealer (told GM credit to shove their new flooring plan and gave up GMC, Buick, Pont after over 50 years and being on dealer board) said they have sold at least 6 of these steering gears over the last 18 months. HMMMMMMMM.

Sheesh - found my problem. Sometime while pulling my motor or reinstalling it when they changed out the leaking headgaskets, the dealer mechanic inadvertanly somehow bend the intermediate steering shaft into a horseshoe - and no, I am not joking. My regular big truck diesel mechanic and I were examining it trying to find out why it made so much noise and had spots where it caught or rubbed something. While I turned the wheel, he looked and started laughing. He then turned the wheel and I looked and the shaft was bent like a wide open horseshoe, hitting on the steering column and was a mess. Drove it to the dealer, where the mechanic and service manager looked at it, and the mechanic immediately said it was their fault and they would fix it. This was at 4pm yesterday, and it was ready at 8 this am. He worked late to do it, and no bill. Drives like normal now.

Man...That is cool that you found the problem and the dealer fix it for you....

You should be able to get a good price on a new factory pump by shopping around the vendor list or if not then check out gmpartsdirect.com
Can't help you find a new neighbor...):h

I have a neighbor I'm willing to trade! (Mike shhhhh):smile5:

Did you ask the dealer to buy your new pump? You never know what he might say!

Neighbor trade - what does his wife look like? LOL
No, I did not ask the dealer to buy the new PS pump. That would be my error in a misdiagnose by me. I'll sell one of the pumps on ebay or here. BUT, because I have been bitching to the service writer (the good female one who I used this time) about the A hole service writer who would not fix on warrantly the intermediate steering shaft on my wifes 2005 Sub with 34,000 miles on it a year ago (cost dealer 4 new car sales so far and I have told them), service manager told me to bring him the sub (now with 44,000 miles on it) and he would solve the problem. Sure wish they would fire the one service writer, but he has been there a long time and apparently makes them lots of money. His attitude toward the public is worse than mine is towards him. Oh well, what goes around comes around - and he also knows about the 4 sales. Salesman no longer there made sure he did.

mine acted funny the other morning,no steering or brakes for 1 min,then after reving engine ti 1500 rpms steering seemed to unlock and now its fine

they must have used it for a pry surface with a mega pry bar trying to line up the mounts and the trans.

on your suburban, it is more than likely the shaft and the lower column support bearing. just an fyi to tell the dealer.

The mechanic thought they might have pried against it or something on the engine hit it when they set it back down. No pics. Really did look like a spread horseshoe with the ends wide open. One you looked in the area, you could not miss it. They did my wifes sub, no charge, and replaced the shaft, and now it feel great at 45K. Can't ask for more, except this dealer was not renewed by GM, and has been in business since 1918 as a Chevy dealer, and is the largest and best Chevy dealer serving about 150,000 people in the center of a diverse region in the biggest city of 75,000 and growing. GM took out two old line Chev dealers (one 20 miles away and smaller in a smaller town) and left a pueny newer dealership in 50 miles away in a small dying town with high unemployment and hard times. Chrysler also pulled all the Dodge Chrysler dealerships in the area, leaving 1 Jeep dealership. The 1918 Chevy dealer in Bend figures it is because he has Honda as well and it outsells Chevy cars easily and GM did not like that. The Ford dealer must be rubbing his hands in glee as no one in the trades is going to drive 50 miles to drive or service a Chev. GMC dealer had his taken away 3 months ago by GMAC flooring. GM is going to lose farm and fleet business all over the nation if they concentrate on big cities. Hope Ford comes up with a good engine.

Your Duramax must steer like it has rack and pinion now with the new shaft! ;)

Sorry to hear about all of the dealership closings.

Back