• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power steering puked oil out the cap

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
1994 K3500 6.5 diesel, CC single rear wheels, long bed

We drug the truck across the yard to power wash the engine - hope I didn't do any damage power washing under the hood.

Drug it back and stuck it in the shed.

There was a puddle under the front - my first guess was that I damaged a line with the power washer. I used the 15° tip. Might have, shoulda used the 25° tip.

Turned out, the fluid came out the cap of the power steering reservoir.

I've never had that happen before.

Any thoughts?

There is a vent hole in the cap on many. Or possibly it was loose. Maybe overfilled it with water? Check for milkshake oil.
Maybe the belt is slipping?
The truck wasn't running. I was cleaning it up to install the starter and some other stuff.

No milk. With it not running, I would think any water would be on the bottom.
Never had an issue when it was parked. I wouldn't think much water Could have gotten in there with the lid on and hood closed

You could use a mighty vac or similar to suck the ps fluid out of the reservoir and dump into glass jar for inspection if any water in there but not mixed.

The belt slip idea was the pump pulsating and causing turbulence that is expelling the fluid. Not sure that idea came through.

Sometimes that just happens.
Seems that if the steer wheel is cranked around, it might create air in the system then it vents out the breather hole in the cap.
I’ve had that happen.
I never worried about it, seemed to be just fine after the enjun was fired up.
I would though, as Will L suggested, see about sucking some juice from the bottom of the reservoir to be sure it is free of contaminants.
Be better than having to flush the entire system if there was/is a problem.

It all depends on how it was last filled. I have seen systems overflow through the cap when the system was topped off thinking it was low when the steering wheel was turned one way or the other having the piston in the gear box extended so that it has sucked fluid from the tank. then when turned again straight or the other direction it causes the overflew.

It all depends on how it was last filled. I have seen systems overflow through the cap when the system was topped off thinking it was low when the steering wheel was turned one way or the other having the piston in the gear box extended so that it has sucked fluid from the tank. then when turned again straight or the other direction it causes the overflew.
Nothing has been added since the truck was running, and it wasn't leaking then.

I'll do as suggested and suck some out of the bottom of the reservoir.

Thanks to all

I've had that happen too. Only when moving a dead vehicle.
Thanks. I guess I've never had it happen or just never noticed.
We drug the 1989 over a mile trying to pull start it, but that was a straight shot except for in and out of the lane. Since the 89 was locked up, it was a waste of time anyway.

I always wish I had been able to check that engine out.
It seemed very strong up until the day it died

Back