• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power steering problems

Bigburban

Reaction score
My power steering pump bit the dust about 3 weeks ago. Replaced it and the new one it lasted about a week before making a groaning grinding sound. Well I replaced that one and the 2nd one didn't make it two days before taking a crap! The pump came from Autozone so the manager felt bad and is giving me my money back and a new pump! Well I have done all I can do to bleed and clear every bit of air out and all that stuff. Also put a new belt tensioner on it just to rule that out. Anyone have any tips or suggestions before I put the 3rd one on tomorrow? :mad2:

Buy an AcDelco & put a filter in the return line.

Sounds like Autozone parts stories I have lived and heard repeatedly. They give a lifetime guarantee because most people don't keep their vehicles that long. For the most part, any part that is not name brand is junk and a waste of time and money.

I try to be very particular about what I buy from Autozone or any other aftermarket parts for that matter. I gave up on Napa parts this year.

System may be full of debris from 1st pump failure. X2 on filter. And get a better pump.

I have a magnet in my pump reservoir to collect metal debris from the first pump gone bad. :D

I don't know what kind of magnet it was, the shop that repaired it put it inside the reservoir. From what I remember, it was about the size of a quarter.

There was a recall on some of them. I got the one on my 2000 replaced by GM for free. All the parts are junk now no matter where you get them. I just got a new a/c line for my 93 from GM and it said made in China and was no where near the quality of the original. Yep, dark times for the Auto Enthusiast, Dark Times indeed.Name brand doesn't mean much anymore either. Sad really. If only that earthquake had hit China and India instead...
Not sure what years got the recall but it can't hurt to ask...

I would use an inkine filter big enough to do the job. Call Baldwin or some other filter manufacturer or possibly get a recomendation from a good auto parts store. Or from a bad store with a good counter guy

Well got it done yesterday...put a magnet in the pump and a filter in line seems fine (for now)......Glad I noticed I needed a new balancer pully while I had everything off also! AZ manager did refund all my money and gave me the pump. I agree seems like no matter where you get parts from they seem to be the luck of the draw when it comes to parts working right or lasting! Thanks for the help!

Back