• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power problems

Tmdbb16

Reaction score
I have a OBS 00’ with a5.7 Vortec. And a 4l80e automatic. I drive truck daily on Az freeways going 80mph and I was heading to flagstaff still up in phoenix on freeways I lose power truck didn’t stall but I tried to floor it but it was holding back n released and power kicked in and tried to go but it was like something blocking my acceleration. I changed fuel filter, EGR valve. TPS, idle control. Cleaned throttle body. MAF sensor. Air filter. Cat is not hot has a lot of pressure coming out of exhaust tip. I turn truck off and it has power when I take off and then dies down on power and trying to accelerate and when I let go it wants to take off. What can be my problems? Transmission solenoids?

I have a OBS 00’ with a5.7 Vortec. And a 4l80e automatic. I drive truck daily on Az freeways going 80mph and I was heading to flagstaff still up in phoenix on freeways I lose power truck didn’t stall but I tried to floor it but it was holding back n released and power kicked in and tried to go but it was like something blocking my acceleration. I changed fuel filter, EGR valve. TPS, idle control. Cleaned throttle body. MAF sensor. Air filter. Cat is not hot has a lot of pressure coming out of exhaust tip. I turn truck off and it has power when I take off and then dies down on power and trying to accelerate and when I let go it wants to take off. What can be my problems? Transmission solenoids?
Releasing the throttle and the engine wants to speed up is either a lean fuel condition or else the cat is plugged up.
I would, if it were mine, begin this process by removing the cat.

Some people just gut is them.
Oooh yeah. IIRC, these might be held on with a two bolt flange to each end.
Then if so, I think a bar can be pounded into the catalyst and turned to chunkys that can fall out, maybe.
Only one I ever cleaned out was on an early Dodge product.
It had to be cut off of the exhaust pipe. I cut it right on the weld.
Knocked out the honey comb then welded the end right back on. Could not tell it had ever been messed with.
That fixed the low power mode of that unit. 😹😹😹

You might try checking your fuel pressure too. the pump in the tank can be running but not supplying enough. in that case if the pressure is out of spec, make sure the pressure regulator is good before blaming the pump.

other than that, I would be looking at the cat. on my 99 dodge, it gave me no warning what so ever. just decided to plug up one minute from the next. only way I figured it out was while stuck on the side of the road, I grabbed a tire iron from the bed and commenced banging on the cat. after that we were able to make it home.

sawzawed the cat off and installed one of those universal jobbers on there with clamps. it's been perfect ever since.

Back