• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Possible Turbo/Head Gasket?

ty blacker

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. Hoping you can shed some light on my problems. so my 04 LB7 has 124,000 miles on it. Have never changed the injectors till now which I feel very lucky. Being somewhat mechanical in nature I went ahead and did it myself. For the most part was pretty straight forward and went smooth. After I got it all done, I went ahead and fired it up. Started like a dream and no more smoke coming out the tail pipe, was very happy. I struggled to get all the air out of the Glycol system, everytime I would burp the screw on top of the thermo, I would always get a burst of air, then coolant. Never seemed to fully prime. Anyway, I went ahead and let the engine run for a bit trying to get it up to temp. struggled to do so then all of a sudden it jump up and sucked my overflow dry, I assume thermo opened and caused that. After the next start up, I now had lots of white smoke coming out my tail pipe. Lots of it. Not only was there smoke, but now oil! Clean oil. I'm in the process of removing the back pipes off the turbo since I suspect it. My question is is this a odd coincidence or could the new power from new injectors sent a possible slow dying turbo to its grave just that fast?

What does the smoke smell like?

Sounds like a
Bad airpocket in the system, hopefully no damage from where ever the air was trapped.

Used to be that if it were prestone, the smoke would smell very sweet. The formula for prestone has been changed so that it has a real bitter taste to keep people and aminals from drinking the stuff, so, I now know not what it would smell like.

Hmm, haven't sniffed new prestone lately. Maybe I ought to.

But Thats really disgnostic test #1 with smoke... id by smell. If it does not smell like oil, or diesel fuel, then maybe it's the new Prestone.

Hmm, haven't sniffed new prestone lately. Maybe I ought to.

But Thats really disgnostic test #1 with smoke... id by smell. If it does not smell like oil, or diesel fuel, then maybe it's the new Prestone.
Yeah, should probably put some in an old pan and boil it up just to see what it does smell like, just in case of a future diagnostics.

Back