• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Possible EGR problem.... lots of blackish brown smoke

Maximator

Reaction score
Hello, Im new to the GM and especially the 6.5TD world but... im studying to become a diesel maintainer so I have some basic diesel engine theory under my belt.

Truck is a 96 K1500 with a 6.5TD. Got about 270K miles on the clock. AFAIK engine is original and so is turbo. I relocated PMD under driver console as per my sig.

Truck will drive fine for 15hrs non stop, there are no serious driveability problems, but its is quite smokey...always been since I bought it last year. I get a DTC come up and then clears itself after a while. Kinda intermittent when it pops up. Havent bought that scanner yet....

Its spews out black and brown smoke when the engine is at a light load, such as not accelerating but just going slowly up a slight hill, rpm is maybe 1300. Then Ill get on the throttle a bit more and big puff of black smoke and I hear the turbo spool up and exhaust is now clear. Then it will upshift, rpms go down and smoke starts again until on top of the hill, or Ive reached speed on a flat road.

Turbo works, no shaft play. WG actuator works too
New air filter (fram paper type), but no change in smoke problem. Had a K&N in there before
Pulled off the vac line and plugged it for the EGR control (I beleive this is what we call it here) as per the pic

Took the truck for a spill and guess what, no more smoke! ...Only when I really stomp on the throttle it gets a bit black but I think thats normal.

So whats the deal with EGR? Do I really need it? I dont have emissions test and the vac line is plugged so I dont let air in the vac system. Seems to be much more of a healthy engine now that the belching brown smoke is gone.

***I just want to make sure that disconnecting the EGR is not just masking an underlying condition that may be causing damage... then again, I havent check the DTC or do I expect anyone here to have a crystal ball.

Any help appreciated :)

-Max

2012-06-02 19.04.46.jpg

Sounds like you have a solenoid that is failing and letting vacuum bleed through and open your egr valve. Not how it is supposed to work, your call on making it functional, sounds like you have it handled now.

thanks slim shady. Some engines (gassers and diesels) were not fitted with EGR so Im just thinking I could leave it as such and move on with things. Or I could fix it and return to stock config. Anyone running their 6.5 with the solenoid deliberately not hooked up just cuz they dont want to have this EGR crap crudding up the intake?

Can I buy just the solenoid or is it one piece with the casting that bolts to the intake?

Yes the solenoid is at the end of the vacuum hose and has a electrical connector on it. I would leave well enough alone

Many people have blocked/bypassed their EGR......I believe there is a blocking plate that is used, also some even change the lower intake to a "F" Vin style eliminating the whole deal.

I'm really not familiar with the EGR emissions details, but check the Tech Reference Library and/or someone with more EGR experience should chime in.......But like "Slim Shady" said sounds like you got it under control.

My solenoid was bad and even though the vacuum tube was blocked, it was still coding. A new solenoid was the only thing that stopped the SES/coding.
I unblocked the vacuum tube at the EGR Valve for the time being but, eventually, I replaced the upper and lower intake manifolds to the non-EGR "F" unit, deleted the vacuum pump with the Turbo Master set up install and reflashed the computer to keep the ECM from freaking out.

I got rid of it on my plow truck

did you just change the intake? or did you blank it off? Anyone know where to source out a blanking plate? I appreciate all that have chimed in.

Side note, just got back from ripping around town and it feels like a different truck. I mean the turbo will spool up nicely with a matching increase in accelerator pedal pressure. Before it would be sluggish at low engine speed while trying to accelerate slowly, and then bang...puff of black and turbo whine and power. Now its just alot more smoother and....well, nice.

Back