• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Possible air cleaner idea?

I have a bug deflector, but I know rain water doesn't move on my hood. Perhaps it blows off quiclkly on yours with no bug deflector.

If the rainwater isn't blowing off, its defnately not a high pressure area.

Right, so it might be a low pressure area, which may not be great either. Somebody did a test by taping pieces of yarn on the fenders and hood to check airflow, and iirc the fender was not a good place. The moving air swept across the vent hole. I cant quote everything I ever read on it, but I think people are getting stuck on gasser technology. High rpm of turbo changes a lot of factors.
Personally I feel like I'm better off with my stock setup than most of the underhood hot air boxes I've seen. But I'm all ears if someone comes up with something that works and makes an actual improvement.

Snowdrift turned me on to a thread at DP can't remember the name now about a hoodscoop for a intercooler. He ended up having to remove his bug deflector to get enough airflow without it being ridiculously tall. Scruffdog was the guys handle IIRC

I guess good way of thinking is,

Build it to catch rainwater while driving.

Anyone who's ever driven in a good light fluffly snowstorm knows that almost 100% of the snow never touches the vehicle.

No matter where you put any scoop, there is such an air disturbance created by the truck anyhow, where is the good spot?

Snow never packs itself anywhere while driving through it, in fact, on the highway it never even makes contact.

This leads me back to believe that the fender is the best spot due to least time spent in engine bay, on a turbocharged vehicle.

Also the fender might not be head on, its not like its facing backwards. I really can't see it slowing down a turbo one bit. It is without a doubt the coldest spot to pull from, so the colder denser air may trump the slight restriction perhaps.

I remember reading an old post from someone who did this too, his replys were more turbo whistle, and dirtier air cleaner. To me that means more / colder air. However, its just a memory thread, and not much to base evidence on. He did say noticed no major HP gains :)

just get one of these scoops like international does...

1283_1_SystemsTrucksSmall.jpg

Because on my exhaust, I want it to go out in the airsteam, its good that the airstream is trying to pull air out the exhaust. Its bad when airstream is pulling air away from your intake. But I also have my exhaust slightly pointed back and with a diagonal cut tip that point back too. There is less restriction from pipe bent over the axle, and the 5" I have was more expensive to get to go over the axle.

Last edited:
Because on my exhaust, I want it to go out in the airsteam, its good that the airstream is trying to pull air out the exhaust. Its bad when airstream is pulling air away from your intake. But I also have my exhaust slightly pointed back and with a diagonal cut tip that point back too. There is less restriction from pipe bent over the axle, and the 5" I have was more expensive to get to go over the axle.

Yes but you have the exhaust exiting into a high pressure zone, thus fighting air flow to get out. This being the exact opposite of the the fender scoop, fighting air flow to go in.

Yes but you have the exhaust exiting into a high pressure zone, thus fighting air flow to get out. This being the exact opposite of the the fender scoop, fighting air flow to go in.

But what makes it high pressure before the tire? I havent seen a wind tunnel test of the truck. I have a backpressure gauge and with the ATT I have very little more backpressure than boost, so there cant be any restriction in my exhaust.

That low to the ground its a little different, but it is reasonable to believe that behind the back tire may be a little better.

Also I have the pipe pointed back at 30 degree angle and the tip itself will act like an air dam and create low pressure area where the exhast exits, because I have the diagonal cut tip, like 30 degree cut, so the front of my 6" tip is more than 3" further out than the back of the tip.

I wanted the reduced backpressure from all the bends to get over the axle and additional pipe

Looking at the limited wind tunnel type pics of trucks I saw on google, hood scoops would be a bad thing, and why even though some imports come with fake hood scoops they dont even have holes in them. Thats you may see ram air on the top of the grill, or some mid engine rally cars put it at the top of the windshield, etc.

Now, put on on my Z28 that has a pointed nose and a hood that angles up at almost the same degree as the windshield and there would be plenty of air hitting the hood.

But what makes it high pressure before the tire? I havent seen a wind tunnel test of the truck. I have a backpressure gauge and with the ATT I have very little more backpressure than boost, so there cant be any restriction in my exhaust.

That low to the ground its a little different, but it is reasonable to believe that behind the back tire may be a little better.

Also I have the pipe pointed back at 30 degree angle and the tip itself will act like an air dam and create low pressure area where the exhast exits, because I have the diagonal cut tip, like 30 degree cut, so the front of my 6" tip is more than 3" further out than the back of the tip.

I wanted the reduced backpressure from all the bends to get over the axle and additional pipe

The air should be bouncing off the front of that rear tire causing massive turbulence and pressurizing the area slightly in front of it.

I agree its a very MINUTE thing.

But thats my view of the fender air intake, very minute thing that its not dead nuts in front of the truck.

Anyhow, that Ghetto fab is exactly what I pictured in my head, however using black ABS/PVC which is much smoother.

I don't think rainwater would get too far in there, and even if it did get the filter a tad moist would it hurt anything?

But also as I mentioned, it looks retarted :)

The venturi affect is much more signifcant at the front of the truck around the front clip/grille than it would be at the back of the truck next to the ground where the exhaust exits. the tip of the my exhaust is also about 4" further out than the tire is.

Back