• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Possible air cleaner idea?

GJF

Reaction score
I was thinking of a better air filter location.

option 1:
I can plumb 3" aluminum piping to right behind the air inlet in the bumper to a cone filter

option 2:
Make a custom plenum/base mounted right over the intake plenum and install a 14" carb style air cleaner mounted right over the intake manifold (as if it had a carb) plumb it to the turbo and install a cowl induction hood.

Any other ideas?

Aluminum will absorb engine bay heat.

I like the idea of cutting in a fender vent and putting a 3" small piping from factory Airbox w/high flow filter directly out the fender.

You can replace that factory 120 bend with a 90 SEWER black PVC from Home Depot for 4 bux. Its way smoother, and way larger.

I noticed slight improvement.

I'd like an off-road snorkel/ air intake but nobody makes one..

Closest I've heard about is for the 80's trucks, they use one for a landcruser and adjust/ flex the angle.....

I also thought of making a custom air box in the original location, and adding a NACA duct in the hood feeding the air box.

I also thought of making a custom air box in the original location, and adding a NACA duct in the hood feeding the air box.

You're an HVAC aren't you?

I like the idea, but be so much easier to make some sort of scoop thing on the fender. Lining/sealing box to hood seems extrememly difficult with no way to really tell if its good enough.

Matt you crack me up! No HVAC here... If I mounted a scoop on the fender I can only think 70's Trans-Am style fender scoop? Snorkles are easy but they belong on 4X4's, not my bumper draggin cheby (aay Matt ;))

Matt you crack me up! No HVAC here... If I mounted a scoop on the fender I can only think 70's Trans-Am style fender scoop? Snorkles are easy but they belong on 4X4's, not my bumper draggin cheby (aay Matt ;))

Do tell than please.. Any ideas other than PVC????

I have absolutely NO problem hacking into my perfectly undented, un rusted fender. All I need is a nice looking fender scoop that fits the criteria which has to be a long narrow thingy to fit the lines, something like 2 x 4 or 2x6... havn't thought about this in a while, but its been in the back of my ugly head for years...

I love the external air filters on the big trucks. I obsessed for years over how to fab a cold air intake, until enough people told me its inconsequential on a turbod truck. It has a machine that sucks air in, so ram air doesnt work, and cooler charge air is getting heated by the turbo anyway, so its really not worth it.
My idea was to run a tube into the cowl area below the windshield, turbulent air plus seperated from engine by the firewall. With my luck there'd be a dead pocket at speed and it would starve for air.

I worry that the fender scoop could also be in a low pressure area with the air flow diverted by the broad square front end. So the air stream could bounce over the vent instead of having positive air pressure into the scoop. Having the filter right behind/below the headlights would be good. LIke under where the battery is. Which is why a battery relocation would be good.

Well, the idea is to get the coldest densest air possible. Not really a concern to RAM it. Its a DIRECT shot out the fender where the turbo can breath in, While it may not be a huge RAM effect, I can't imagine it hindering much...

Also, slow MPH hard work would benefit as much as possible the less that air path is inside the engine bay.

What type of air pressure is inside the engine compartment for people who run open filters under hood?

Just stick a 3" PVC pipe straight out the fender just enough to get a 90 on it and face it forward. :)

You could go PVC Pipe, straight DOWN into the wheelwell, then angle it forward all the way to the front of the truck as straight as possible.... would probably work pretty good actually...

Not straight down, have the first cut angle towards the front, hug the wheel well a little and come out somehwere underneath where its extreme pressure zone.

May look retarted.

One would think as long as it is able to pull fresh ambient air it would be better than pulling in air from inside the engine bay.

The reason it can be worse in a low pressure (lower than atmospheric) external location is because the airstream at high speeds could create a venturi affect and pull air like a vacuum where you want to pull into the engine, so it works against you and is worse than pulling air in from the engine bay at atmospheric pressure, because there is no resistance to pulling it in.

The reason it can be worse in a low pressure (lower than atmospheric) external location is because the airstream at high speeds could create a venturi affect and pull air like a vacuum where you want to pull into the engine, so it works against you and is worse than pulling air in from the engine bay at atmospheric pressure, because there is no resistance to pulling it in.

Which I agree on n/a, but a turbo sucks so hard that while It may be slightly impaired at 100mph, it would benefit at all lower speeds up to that spot.

Now at high speeds, the air my not ever get a chance to warm up much, but at lower speeds where your fighting overheating the air duct inside engine compartment becomes a pre-heater.

When I was running hot one day I pulled over and checked out my truck. I couldn't even put my hand on my hood/fenders/bumper. You know that air is roughly as warm as that by the time it reaches the air cleaner.

At least if it was 3" duct out the side, it would never get a chance to get pre-heated.

I would think every 5 degrees cooler that air is, IAT has to be close to 5 degrees cooler. If we're talking 20-30-50 degrees that could make a significant difference overall temps I would think. EGT's cooler, Air Denser...

Now Buddy, why would you exit your exhaust in front of the rear tire? Wouldn't that be doing exactly what your trying to avoid on the other end?:thumbsup:):h

I remember rerouting the air ducting on an Olds I had, and it got better mileage at 80mph than at 65 after that. Better overall mileage, too. Cooler air can't hurt, but Buddy's right about air pressure. On my '69 hot rod, we tried duct taping the scoop in several spots with a vacuum/pressure gague hosed to the front of it, and running it at speed to test. I ended putting it right about where the ramchargers put their hemi scoop. Duh!

Back