• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Porting Your Own Heads

DZZ71

"Living The 6.5 Dream"
Reaction score
As i progress with my engine build i decided to go do some porting on my heads since this is a test engine for me. I read lots of people doing it but dident find any pictures of before and after. So i snapped some photos of my project for anyone else who might be pondering this mod with out paying a professional....... And yes im very aware there are cracks between my valves. Now what i did was clip in my intake gasket and scribe the edge with a paint marker that needed to be removed. I feathered it out a ways back and i now know why there is talk of 20-30 CFM gain from a full blown port job there is alot of restrictions in there. If you look at the top of the one before photo you will see a high spot. That is from the valve cover bolt up top. I completly ground it flush and took off the rough haggerd surface as far back as i could (needed a longer bit). Now that's about it for the intake side of things. If you look at the valve side photos you will see a lip protruding below the valve seat. I ground that all off and featherd it all back as far as i could go. Make sure to be carefull around the valve seat... After the die grinding was completed i put a tiny sanding bit on and cleaned it all up real nice to a very smooth finnish. Not sure on the gains i will get from this. But it should help a little :) Im gonna die grind my pre cups a bit wider as well to. Time invested was about 5 hours. My good set of heads for the other engine will be done alot better then these oldwarn out ones. I will post the results of this mod.

porting022.jpg

porting003.jpg

porting025.jpg

porting005.jpg

porting006.jpg

porting010.jpg

porting011.jpg

porting013.jpg

porting014.jpg

porting020.jpg

porting015.jpg

porting037.jpg