• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

poor fuel milage

lovedmax

Reaction score
hey there guys i am new to this site and kinda of new to the diesel world i have an 05 max cc. i am only getting 15 miles a gallon. what can i do to improve it. thanks:chevy:

hey there guys i am new to this site and kinda of new to the diesel world i have an 05 max cc. i am only getting 15 miles a gallon. what can i do to improve it. thanks:chevy:

Welcome to the site!

Do you have any mod's or tuners right now? If not, I would start off with a mild programmer. If you drive it right without using the extra power, you can acheive some better MPG's.

I have an 03 LB7 and was getting 14 to 16 mpgs in town put on a Edge Juice W/ attitude set it on level 2 and I am now 16 to 18 mpgs in town. Havent had it out on the open road to see what thoese mpgs would be but watching the instant econ it ranges from 22 mpgs to 34 mpgs with the cruse set at 62 ish on flat ground driving a distance of about 25 to 30 miles. Dont know if that is any help since I have a lb7 but thats my experence

Welcome to the site. I have an 05 as well and you will see a good improvement with a programmer as others have mentioned.
I am getting between 18-20mpg with my Hypertech but you also need to keep the rpm's under 2000 to see those numbers in the higher range.

I've noticed that the hotter the tune the better the mileage I'll get. you just gotta stay out of the throttle :doh:

that sounds about right for an LLY.

A mild tuner will help a lot. I always suggest the Edge J/A. Although I see they have the new mileage box too.

Thanks guys. I do have a programmer, it is a hypertech and i just went on a 250 mile trip and i am only getting 16. Will opening up the exhaust help any?

Thanks guys. I do have a programmer, it is a hypertech and i just went on a 250 mile trip and i am only getting 16. Will opening up the exhaust help any?
What speeds did you average?

Incline?

how are you getting your milage? are you going by the DIC or hand calculating? soemtimes the DIC isnt accurate and your better off calculating the milage by hand.

Wow... the more things change, the more things stay the same. :eyebrows:

Take a look at my sig... running with the mods below with my Predator set to +65 hp - their economy tune - and keeping the skinny pedal up off the floorboard, I'm seeing 21.7 on the highway (duplicated over and over on a recent trip to Florida), and somewhere near 17 mixed. It can be done... but ya gotta avoid fogging for mosquitoes... ;)

MY experience was that the stock tune gets the best MPG. keep off the throttle, keep highway speeds to absolute safe minimum (50 for me in a 60zone) and coast as much as you can.

using a scan gauge will help you drive more mpg-conscious

EGT gauges give a good indication of how much coals are being burned.

i bought my truck used and it was getting about 11-12, and after a bully dog tripledog, muffler cut off, and some treatments of lucus im getting about 14-16. Im about to block it and do a pcv reroute along with cut the kitty and go 4" turbo back. well see what i get then

I wish I could get that. I can get 14-15 around town. It's hard to keep it under 2000
rpm when that is 70 mph.

I'm getting about 15mpg with my 33's. When I had my small tires on I drove stupid slow...acceleration and highway rpms all under 2,000 rpms...got 18 mpg....but that's boring.

Why not fill out your sig so everybody knows about your actual truck. Are you running stock size tires and hand calculating?
I have a totally stock LBZ with over 65k on it and with careful driving habits I am getting 19.5 to 20 mpg.

Back