• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Polished the trumpet!

jim87vette

Gimpy
Reaction score
Have only had Big White a week or so and really was annoyed by the dingy trumpet exhaust.I remember seeing someone who cleaned it up a bit and painted the inner portion.I opted to just shine it and although it doesn't look like those nice tips you buy,I feel it passes for marginal looks now.Do you guys think it looks OK?

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 31
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 42
Hey jim it's good to hear that you finally got your truck. The tip looks nice you did a great job with it. Last Friday my stock exhaust fell off my truck, no clue what happened to it, bad factory hangers I guess...:).

Thank you it was a long decision on my part.I am going to keep my stock exhaust for a while anyways and see how it goes.

Looks really good Jim. Nice job. What way did you go about polishing it?

Thanks,I started off with just some 400 sandpaper as it had some nicks and scratches from whatever the factory used.Then I switched to a wheel that went on my drill the best way I can describe it is that its like a wire wheel but with plastic or fiberglass bristles on it.But it worked real good.

Just make sure you go with the grain of the metal.It didn't take long maybe 20 minutes of the wheel.Then I used some rubbing compound.And last I used a polish called Heavy Metal(med) which cleaned it up to the finish you see.The whole job maybe took an hour-not bad.It has a bushed metal look which I like.:smilewinkgrin:

How bout puttin a miter cut on the end! ? Nice BTY! Much better!

Last edited:
Looks good, thats what comes on them new ones then? Im way behind the times..

Somthin else i was pondering... Measure the largest outer diameter point (very end of trumpet?) and find a nice looking, long, single wall tip and cut the end off (to just come up to the air inlet cuff), now just slide it over the the orig trumpet like a jacket or sleeve and then you could tack some weld beads on the inside end! Now you got a nice lookin tip that is still the funtional factory part underneath it all!

Thay say this is all for cooling the gasses during regen cause of hi-temps... wonder if you hacked it all off and installed a nice Stainless tip if it would be hot enough to give it that cool heat affected dis-coloring! Just me, i like the HOT look!

Back