• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Polished Rods...

DieselBully

Reaction score
Here is one rod almost done, still have to hit it with a dry wheel. It lost about 16 grams, I'm shot peening them, then balancing within half a gram. Here are some comparison pics.

Also, I have ARP studs and having them center bored.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for all the welcomes.

sctrailrider - I will try and find the part number for you, I know the packaging is here somewhere, I also have another set if your interested.

Welcome!

I was always told in engines classes that the 'rough surface' on rods helped cool them off from oil and airflow. It also held oil on them if that is worth anything.

So you must be building a real "Hot Rod!"

Yeah, but all sharp edges and rough points can cause stress points to start fracture breakage etc. I don't know benefits of polishing rods ???? Oil sling off?

... the rods look great, I've never seen a set polished like that, shot peened, smoothed, sure, but never mirror smooth like that. on our high HP race car, we had an entire block smoothed... 30 lbs removed!!! the engine still pulled the motor mounts right out of the side of the block... me thinks we were pulling a tad too many HP's for side motor mounts to handle...

Yeah, but all sharp edges and rough points can cause stress points to start fracture breakage etc. I don't know benefits of polishing rods ???? Oil sling off?

Reeley??? I can think of several... unfortunately, I can only THINK of several...

shot peened, smoothed
Shot peened is all I have ever really heard. But see smoothing the casting parting line as a good thing.

So what are other benefits:
a little weight off
easier oil sling off?
Less drag rotating/pumping?

I bet sctrailrider could suggest a good coating. As coatings will often times mimic the surface finish it might even enhance the polishing.

Polishing helps shed the oil quicker. And that helps in more areas. One being oil windage. A lot of power is robbed from rotating parts hitting the oil trying to make it way back to the pan. Same with air. And the quicker that oil gets back to the pan the more is available to send back up thru the engine. It also helps stop foaming of the oil as well.

All these things are great. But are you going to do the rest? To take advantage of this you need to polish the block inside and work the drainback holes and passages. A windage tray would further add to it.

I did a block earlier this year. Man its a lot of work and coughing up cast dust is rough even with a mask! But it also gives you the same advantages of taking stress out. The one I done this year was an sbc gas race motor. I also put tubes in the valley to keep windage from the cam. I was gonna pull vacuum on it as well. My 2bbl motor is done as well and I am pulling vacumm!

Got me thinking now! Anyone every pull vacuum on a diesel? HMMM!

Very nice work btw!

Back