• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD which is the best

BigBearZach

Reaction score
So i have been doing some resurech and have found a lot of pmd kits. i am just trying to find the best kit and not just waste my money. i like the one ss diesel has is it any good?

Go to Leroydiesel and you can't go wrong.

Personally I won't use a NONstandyne PMD again but some people say they work fine. Leroy sells both and you can decide.

If you don't go with Leroydiesel then just be sure that the pmd gets relocated to somewhere besides the intake and out of the engine compartment.

From my experience they are all about equal, equally junk. I'm on the third pmd and that has given me issues but since its been cold out it has been holding up for now.

If I could, I would just swap to a mechanical db2 pump and be done with pmds.

Mines got 3yrs of extreme Oklahoma heat on it. When the cooler was on the intake it only lasted a couple months in the summer. I like the tunability of the DS4

There are only two makers of PMDs right now. Flight Systems (black) and Stanadyne (grey). Any of the other black PMDs you see are just relabled PMDS from Flight Systems. I buy direct from Flight Systems and don't try to fool anyone as if I make them like Dtech, welman, Dorman...ect
Hopefully that clears it up alittle.
Stanadyne has a two year warranty from me/Stanadyne (some other sellers only offer 6 mo or 1 year from them)
Flight Systems has a one year warranty.
Both are very good units now. Just make sure its mounted on a heatsink outside the 4 corners of the engine compartment.

Oh! one more thing. "IF" you have a warranty I dont make you take pictures of the before and after and right your life history before you can return (like the seller mentioned in #1 post)
I also pull a new unit from my stock to return to you. Other sellers will forward your PMD to the maker and wait til they are given another to send to you. I don't I pull one right from stock and deal with the maker on the back side.
I do ask for begining and ending mileage, VIN# and your discription of the problem though with the return.

A lot of people like SSD PMD kit till they have a problem and have to get a warranty. LOL!!!
Plus, they say that the intake is the best location even after more than 15 years experience.

I would buy from Leroy with his credibility on the line in this forum.

AutoZone offers what appears to be a Flight Systems - it ain't cheap. But you could get the harness and heat sink and build your own and take advantage of the warranty offered.

Part Number: 904-104

Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Notes: Fuel pump driver module

On a side note. Have had mine in engine compartment for nearly 10 years but made sure that it stayed cool. My set-up was a bit elaborate but has, so far, worked.

That same one mentioned in the first post has burned me. Never again. I do have some of his parts on my truck. Listen to these guys. They know. And Leroy has always been honest with me.

Btw that intake mounted cooler will break from vibration since it hangs from the side. And heat and vibration is the quickest way to kill a pmd.

I have no idea who is cheaper or if your worried about that but even if "new york" is cheaper it wont be when he charges twice as much to ship it to ya. Last order from him was a down pipe and a resister. Talked to him about just putting the tiny resister in the box with the DP to save shipping. He said that was cool then charged me $20 special handling charge to tape it to the DP. Sorry for the rant. Just dont want others getting the same treatment.

That same one mentioned in the first post has burned me. Never again. I do have some of his parts on my truck. Listen to these guys. They know. And Leroy has always been honest with me.

Btw that intake mounted cooler will break from vibration since it hangs from the side. And heat and vibration is the quickest way to kill a pmd.

I have no idea who is cheaper or if your worried about that but even if "new york" is cheaper it wont be when he charges twice as much to ship it to ya. Last order from him was a down pipe and a resister. Talked to him about just putting the tiny resister in the box with the DP to save shipping. He said that was cool then charged me $20 special handling charge to tape it to the DP. Sorry for the rant. Just dont want others getting the same treatment.

LOL, sorry, he's just such a crook.

I purchased the truck with an SSD setup mounted on the intake in JAN 07. I don't know how long it was there before me but it was still working fine when I replaced it out of preventative maint. concerns in MAR 08. The replacement was a Stanadyne from SSD and went straight to the bumper courtesy of an extension from Leroy. I sent the old SSD PMD to a fellow member in dire need and never heard anything negative about it. For all I know, it was still running when he wrecked the truck in 2012.
I swapped the SSD Stanadyne out for the new D-Tech that was on the IP I changed in APR 10. Then a Heath isolation set up with newer D-Tech PMD went on the truck in Aug 11. I put the SSD unit back on the SSD heat sink and it is now on my neighbors truck, behind his bumper and it continues to work fine. The old D-Tech is on a old Heath Heatsink as a spare.

Luck of the draw but for one as cursed as I am for finding the long way around a lot of these issues, the PMD snake hasn't bitten me and as you can see, I've given it plenty of opportunity to do so.

shoot, all of mine except two (one, soon to be two) are still pump mounted. So far I am lucky in that regard.

the 96 has had leroys kit since I got it, and I scored a used heath kit off a truck that got rear ended and totaled. it was bought off e-bay for 200 bucks, it will be going on the 95 GMC.

Mine is still on the ssd cooler on the intake. I haven't had any issues with operation but I do know mine is cracked from hanging. It will go elsewhere when it breaks off.

well i went with the on from Leroydiesel. i can tell one thing my old pmd was on its way out so im glad i changed it when i did

Back