• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD Question

duramaxdude

Reaction score
I Bought a brand new PMD and heatsink from SSdieselsupply. It lasted about 3 days and than it quit working. It started to Hicup and stall. Thats when I threw my spare on. It cleared it up and made it run like a top. So my question is what makes a pmd wear out that fast. Or does ssdiesel have crappy PMD's.

Figured you guys would have more experience than me with this.

I Bought a brand new PMD and heatsink from SSdieselsupply. It lasted about 3 days and than it quit working. It started to Hicup and stall. Thats when I threw my spare on. It cleared it up and made it run like a top. So my question is what makes a pmd wear out that fast. Or does ssdiesel have crappy PMD's.

Figured you guys would have more experience than me with this.

close, but make the crappy cooler and crappy location (top of intake manifold) that kills the PMD. that is fast though...3 days? wow

My crappy SSDIESEL only lasted 3 months.... Tell Walt, he'll suggest you buy everything in the book to fix it... Guys a crook, lier, thief, POS. SCammer

SSDIESEL SCAM
SSDIESEL CROOK
SSDIESEL THEIF
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAM
SSDIESEL SUPPLY MISLEAD
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAMS

My crappy SSDIESEL only lasted 3 months.... Tell Walt, he'll suggest you buy everything in the book to fix it... Guys a crook, lier, thief, POS. SCammer

SSDIESEL SCAM
SSDIESEL CROOK
SSDIESEL THEIF
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAM
SSDIESEL SUPPLY MISLEAD
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAMS

Well Said.

SSDIESEL SCAM
SSDIESEL CROOK
SSDIESEL THEIF
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAM
SSDIESEL SUPPLY MISLEAD
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAMS

So you didnt like him to much I assume. Pissed me off just did Injectors Gowplugs and dropped $1500 on the truck. Drive It around the yard for a bit and this has to happen.

He just mislead me in a bad way before I found these guys. He refused to believe the problem was his heatsync. He told me he was a thermal engineer, and has done exclusive testing that that is the coolest spot spot for it in the engine bay. Also said most GM dealerships get their PMD's from him, when I asked about my warranty.

He told me mounting it outside the engine bay (where I have mine now for 3 years no problem) would result in thermal shock to the PMD. So, Not knowing any better, I took his advice and started replacing the IP to PMD wire harness, and doing other things... This went on for months, driving me nuts, making me hate my truck....

He then started some forum, where I started posting about my problem, and lack of resolution. He deleted my posts, and my account. This is after spending a good amount of money with him. Never answered me why, I think he blocked my IP or something...

Then I found these guys here. Truck never stalled PMD related since. And any other problem these guys set me straight fast. For free even.

SSDIESEL SCAM
SSDIESEL CROOK
SSDIESEL THEIF
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAM
SSDIESEL SUPPLY MISLEAD
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAMS

Don't sugar coat it Matt.:smile5:

I know his rep is pretty bad and I'll not belabor it. I'll give him credit for backing up that air filter that was causing my stalling, even though it was purchased by a previous owner and didn't failed me until almost a year after I bought the truck. The FSD he sold me during that time when I was throwing parts at it has performed very well on his heatsink but I remoted it under the bumper prior to using it on a Kennedy 48" extension and now its on a longer one from PMDCable. The original FSD which turned out to be ok, I sent off to RangerDoc when his went south and as far as I know its working ok. Luck of the draw in my favor is all I'm saying so far as my FSDs go.
But, 3 days doesn't help Walt's rep one bit and it ain't good. Lots of folks burned unfortunately and I've already posted about my love for his marine injectors...+40 HP my eye (maybe if I got out and pushed), only lots of white smoke in the morning and I pray my rings aren't eaten....:nonod:

Last edited:
He just mislead me in a bad way before I found these guys. He refused to believe the problem was his heatsync. He told me he was a thermal engineer, and has done exclusive testing that that is the coolest spot spot for it in the engine bay. Also said most GM dealerships get their PMD's from him, when I asked about my warranty.

He told me mounting it outside the engine bay (where I have mine now for 3 years no problem) would result in thermal shock to the PMD. So, Not knowing any better, I took his advice and started replacing the IP to PMD wire harness, and doing other things... This went on for months, driving me nuts, making me hate my truck....

He then started some forum, where I started posting about my problem, and lack of resolution. He deleted my posts, and my account. This is after spending a good amount of money with him. Never answered me why, I think he blocked my IP or something...

Then I found these guys here. Truck never stalled PMD related since. And any other problem these guys set me straight fast. For free even.

So you have your PMD mounted outside the engine bay. Were did you put it. I have heard that this was a bad idea beacause you could make the pmd work harder but then again i never tried it yet. Could just be one persons opinion.

Did Walt refund your money. He just emailed me i will let you knkw how it goes.

So you have your PMD mounted outside the engine bay. Were did you put it. I have heard that this was a bad idea beacause you could make the pmd work harder but then again i never tried it yet. Could just be one persons opinion.

Did Walt refund your money. He just emailed me i will let you knkw how it goes.

Mine is mounted to the bumper, cradled inside it behind the license plate.

I've seen some electrical theory discussion on another forum (Page I think) about the longer cable effecting the time it takes for signals to travel the distance from PCM to FSD and back to the IP etc. But, at the 186K miles per second that electricity travels, I think 90" is fairly insignificant):h I'm not smart enough to debate that point and reading it hurt my head.
I go with the masses and the vendors I've spoken too are courteous enough not to name him directly, but they aren't too happy about Walt's claims of originality when it's clear he's helped himself to their ideas. Go with a recommended site supporting vendor...there's a reason they get to stick around here.
My .02

Mine is mounted to the bumper, cradled inside it behind the license plate.

I've seen some electrical theory discussion on another forum (Page I think) about the longer cable effecting the time it takes for signals to travel the distance from PCM to FSD and back to the IP etc. But, at the 186K miles per second that electricity travels, I think 90" is fairly insignificant):h I'm not smart enough to debate that point and reading it hurt my head.
I go with the masses and the vendors I've spoken too are courteous enough not to name him directly, but they aren't too happy about Walt's claims of originality when it's clear he's helped himself to their ideas. Go with a recommended site supporting vendor...there's a reason they get to stick around here.
My .02

You deffinetly do have a point. I will try to come up with a differnt location for the PMD. I dont like the bumper idea very much though for some reason.

What would cause a PMD to burn out really quick like that though. I dont want it happenig to my spare if its something mechanical.

Probably a bad batch, "Monday Car" they call the lemons in Germany. Bumper, Inside the nostril, in front of one of the batteries....just so long as it is out of the heat of the engine bay. Behind the bumper it is in the cool air and protected from stones and other road debris. I've heard of some putting it inside the cab even.

The FSD is electronic and will die if left in an area where it is subjected to extended extensive heat exposure...like sitting on top of a motor that is radiating heat like the sun. The Pump Mount was probably a fine idea so far as using the fuel to keep it cool...so long as fuel was flowing. But nobody explained how to keep it cool once the fuel stopped flowing and the engine radiated heat for hours while that little sucker sits in a no air flow zone!
Fortunately, the solution will be a new FSD, even if it is from Walt, and an extended cable mounted outside the bay. Buy the cable from a site vendor though.:thumbsup:

You could just send the whole thing back and purchase a complete system with a real warranty from a more reputable source.

Last edited:
You deffinetly do have a point. I will try to come up with a differnt location for the PMD. I dont like the bumper idea very much though for some reason.

What would cause a PMD to burn out really quick like that though. I dont want it happenig to my spare if its something mechanical.

Mines in my bumper. Great place if you ask me. Easy to get at and works good at a theft deterrent hahaha. Go to PMDcable.com (Leroy) on this site and buy a 6' harness for 40 bucks and your on your way to a worry free PMD life!

Get a DTECH PMD mount it on a suitable cooler with good heat sink paste.

I like the spot down on the inside of the fold down shield under the radiator between the frame rails.

Its cool in there and protected from the elements.

The Nostril is good as is the spot behind the LH battery.

The DTECH PMD's have (So Far) a great service history.

I am using one on DaHoooley and have been for quite some time.

The PMD does not "Wear Out"
There are two large power transistors as well as other circuitry in them that does not like heat.

A failure in such a short time is rare but can happen.

Missy says get a DTECH

MGW

Get a DTECH PMD mount it on a suitable cooler with good heat sink paste.

I like the spot down on the inside of the fold down shield under the radiator between the frame rails.

Its cool in there and protected from the elements.

The Nostril is good as is the spot behind the LH battery.

The DTECH PMD's have (So Far) a great service history.

I am using one on DaHoooley and have been for quite some time.

The PMD does not "Wear Out"
There are two large power transistors as well as other circuitry in them that does not like heat.

A failure in such a short time is rare but can happen.

Missy says get a DTECH

MGW

Ha My spare is a dtech. Love it used it for a while. I had it mounted in the cab with a homeade cord but decided thats not a good idea

MInes in the bumper now 2 years,, on my own heatsink,, and with my own extended PMD cable, Took it out, and added wires, soldered, heatshrinked, and installed it myself.

works great there,, If anyone tells you it's a bad idea,,they either,

1 don't know squat
2 haven't done it
3 want to get your money!

i had the same problem mounting in the bumper in northern ontario just didn't make sense to me it would be under a snow bank . summer season no problem, mine was a 1999 dually with ac so i looked at the ac mount it extends around the ac there is two bolts that hold a plate to support the upper rad hose, the cooler i had fit perfect in those holes so the pmd is in a position were the fan blows on it when engine is running so far no problems but these guys on this site have way more experience then me

SSDIESEL SCAM
SSDIESEL CROOK
SSDIESEL THEIF
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAM
SSDIESEL SUPPLY MISLEAD
SSDIESEL SUPPLY SCAMS

Hey Matt talked to Walt and he had no problem exanging it. Best custemer service i've delt with in a long time actually. Must have been in a good mood.

Back