• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD question for all that have had one fail

Schwind

split loyalties
Reaction score
Well just had another PMD fail. It is mounted behind the bumper and has lasted for about five years now. Pretty good all things considered.

the truck has been treating me pretty good over the last few years. I haven't had to do anything to it but oil changed and regular maintainence.

This is the first time that the PMD has caused surging on me. Most of the time they just created a stall/nostart situation. I am just glad that it is the PMD and nothing more serious.

my question for everyone is: which senario did the failing PMD cause for you?

1st IP mounted Original: No start then stall. ~ 8yrs old

2nd remote heat sink mounted on fender in front of brake control module: only stall ~ 5 yrs old.

Depends on the brand of PMD.
The black stanadyne seldom if ever surge,while the flight systems could do all the above plus runaway.

Stock PMD started to stall with no real pattern then progressed to stumbling(fishbite?) over a few months. In the end it would idle, but when you pressed the accelerator it would instantly stall. Now have remote kit that has been in for about four months and works great.

Im thinking this is either PMD or something that got wet when it shouldnt have. I took it to the car wash last friday and i wound up sitting and waiting for 35 min+ in line to get into the car wash. Had the truck idling most of the time to move further ahead in line. Not long after i was done with the car wash i had a fuel starvation condition and had no throttle. Wound up parking it near my home and went back to it about 2 hrs later and has ran fine since. I figure the PMD over heated from sitting idle. my PMD is currently mounted inside my air box.

Im thinking this is either PMD or something that got wet when it shouldnt have. I took it to the car wash last friday and i wound up sitting and waiting for 35 min+ in line to get into the car wash. Had the truck idling most of the time to move further ahead in line. Not long after i was done with the car wash i had a fuel starvation condition and had no throttle. Wound up parking it near my home and went back to it about 2 hrs later and has ran fine since. I figure the PMD over heated from sitting idle. my PMD is currently mounted inside my air box.

Could be fuel supply as well.

When my PMDs failed they all did the typical stall out scenario.

FWIW Heath stands behind their Isolator systems! I encourage anyone to buy these kits from Heath for the product quality and support. I had an Isolator PMD fail and Heath was on it with a replacement, no games.

Could be fuel supply as well.

If it was a consistant problem I would consider that a cause, but now it did it again last night after sitting idling for about 15 min at one location then driven home and not allowed to cool before taking off again and wind up sitting for another 20+ min, I figure the pmd is over heating because if I let it sit for awhile and let it cool it goes back to normal...oh well im ordering a new fs pmd relocator kit from larry today so that solves that.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

At least when it stalls, immediately, check the fuel manager to make sure it isn't empty and that you're going down the wrong path.

im ordering a new fs pmd relocator kit from larry today so that solves that.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Its Leroy. :hihi:

Also in your air box is still to hot for the pmd. Get it out behind the front bumper.

Its Leroy. :hihi:

Also in your air box is still to hot for the pmd. Get it out behind the front bumper.

Whoops! sorry man! I think i was kinda half dead and still pissed at the truck from last night to remember that lol. I made the same error in my own build thread which was updated around the same time i posted that post last night lol. I do recall using the correct name before but it slipped my mind last night lol. Either way...Looking forward to doing the relocate once the kit from you arrives!

Back