• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PMD Problems Again

MAGNUM SERVICES

Intelligence Guided By Experience
Reaction score
Anybody ever use a Dorman Products PMD? Their website says they have a Lifetime Warranty and D-Tech only has a 1 Year Warranty! I will NOT use another Stanadyne ever again, Grey in color or not! Thank You for all replies, Keith

Dorman products and D-Tech are the same .. the PMD is made by Flight Systems, inc, and is re-badged by various companies.

About all I can tell you with PMDs is that they ARE going to fail... sorry about the fatalism, but that's just the way I see it. If you get them properly-mounted, on a decent-sized heat sink, with a good harness, mounted OUT of the engine compartment, they will last much longer ... but even then, I expect them to fail eventually.

Stanadyne or D-Tech, order one from a vendor that will back up their product with a good warranty.

Leroy at PMD Cable is one of our vendors, and offers either a cheaper version (1-yr warranty) or more expensive (7-year Warranty, like what Bill Heath sells)

You can build 'em yourself for less, but you'll have to live with the fact that if/when you replace it, you will be on the hook for that cost again. Depends on how long you'll want to keep your truck, I guess.

Last edited:
Convert it to a DB2...

Lifetime warranty or not I avoid Dorman when I can.

@ jrsavoie, Yes to the Grey Stanadyne, originally replaced under Warranty from a old style black one purchased from Diesel Injection in Cincinnati, Oh.!@ hiredgun58, $355.00 for a Dorman with a Lifetime Warranty. I relocated the PMD on a Heat Sink under the front bumper over 3 years ago with a PMD Cable purchased from PMD Cables.

If its black and not an old Stanadyne then its a Flight Systems (FS).

My FS PMDs are $175 and are the latest offerering from FS.

@ racer55, what ever paste came with the PMD, it is on a SS Diesel Supply Heat Sink under the front bumper, I ordered a Dorman PMD as their site says it has a Lifetime Warranty and hopefully this is the LAST one I purchase!

Well, if you have one with a lifetime warranty and one El Cheapo spare, then you should be all set. Extension cable to behind the front fender, and you swap it when it fails. How much do they want for one with lifetime warranty?

Bobbie, have you ever used a grey Stanadyne?

As much as I hate to admit it the grey Stanadyne has been a very good unit in my experience. Still have only had 1 returned for warranty.
I also have the latest and greatest PMD from Flight Systems in stock. both seem to be alot better than the old ones.

As much as I hate to admit it the grey Stanadyne has been a very good unit in my experience. Still have only had 1 returned for warranty.
I also have the latest and greatest PMD from Flight Systems in stock. both seem to be alot better than the old ones.

Bobbie is a DB2 IP swap resident expert!!! LOL!!

No, I quit using PMDs before the grey one came out.

I paid $355.00 for a Dorman from Autozone. Every PMD from local auto parts stores were remanufactured and had a 1 year warranty, Dorman has a Lifetime Warranty so I purchased it, it is black in color but is about 1/8 of an inch thicker than the Grey Stanadyne that failed, it is already mounted on my Heat Sink using the pad that came with the PMD + heat transfer paste, mounted under the front bumper, if it fails I will get my money back and swap to a mechanical pump if I decide to hang onto my truck

I paid $355.00 for a Dorman from Autozone. Every PMD from local auto parts stores were remanufactured and had a 1 year warranty, Dorman has a Lifetime Warranty so I purchased it, it is black in color but is about 1/8 of an inch thicker than the Grey Stanadyne that failed, it is already mounted on my Heat Sink using the pad that came with the PMD + heat transfer paste, mounted under the front bumper, if it fails I will get my money back and swap to a mechanical pump if I decide to hang onto my truck

I don't know if it will make a difference but I think it is a "either/or" thing

Back