• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PM Day

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
Not exciting I know, but I like doing and don't have to pay someone else.

Oil change (2600 mi) and one of the first times I had been under it... took some crappy phone pics.

Filter and 7qts of 5W20:
IMAG0236.jpg

Under the hood... lots of plastic. The engine sits way back.
IMAG0238.jpg

Looking backwards
IMAG0249.jpg

It's got a pretty stout front end
IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

Everything is simple to get at
IMAG0244.jpg

We all make dumb decisions in life that we regret, put it to you that way Ed. It's a long story best told over a couple of beers!

Look at that, somebody screwed up and put a rear axle under the engine. And it's got all of them funny looking round things in the exhaust.

Looks pretty heavy duty under there Grady. I thought from the pics long ago your garage didn't have enough maint. work room. Or is this a different garage?

Look at that, somebody screwed up and put a rear axle under the engine. And it's got all of them funny looking round things in the exhaust.

That and 16 spark plugs to make you scratch your head. :hihi:

Jeff, it calls for 5W20. The Motorcraft semi-syn oil is actually made by Conoco-Philips and it has a good history, at least from the UOA info I've seen posted online. I may switch to M-1 5W30 after a couple of UOA's... every mfr is using thinner oil for fuel economy it seems. I think even the 6.7 PSD calls for 10W30 now.

IMAG0252.jpg

OK Thanks Grady. Mobil 1 makes a nice 5W-20 full synthetic. That is why I was asking. I did not know if you had to use the Motorcraft or not.

No, don't have to use Motorcraft oil.... Wal Mart has it. Same with the FL-820S filter and it ran just under $30 for everything IIRC.

The OCI is 7,500 miles which will put 5,000 on this oil and I figure I'll do a UOA then and again at 15,000.

Did the 7500 mile maintenance deal today. Used Mobil 1 extended performance 5w20 and a motorcraft filter, rotated the tires. I'll go the full 7500 miles on the next oil change.

I don't think I'll be doing that in the garage again. 275/65/20 wheels and tires have to weigh 130# each....damn those things are heavy and awkward.

On another note, found some ammo in Wal Mart when I bought the oil so now I finally have a decent supply to hit the range.

I know the feeling about heavy tires. I'm working on a motorhome right now for somebody and he wanted the tires rotated, needless to say I took it to somebody as it took 2 guys to wrestle the tires off and on in the back. Those 19.5" steel rims and tires are some HEAVY SOB's.

When I had that 97 dually way back when, I took the wheels off one side to fix a botched brake job. The last lug nut comes off and all that crap falls off, spacers go everywhere and the wheels are rolling away. Putting it back together without six hands is almost impossible.

When I had that 97 dually way back when, I took the wheels off one side to fix a botched brake job. The last lug nut comes off and all that crap falls off, spacers go everywhere and the wheels are rolling away. Putting it back together without six hands is almost impossible.

The secret I found to prevent that is to just barely have the wheel off the ground. I also hold the tire on with my feet and get my butt as close as I can to the tire. It is still a pain. :agreed:

Back