• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

plowing with fuel at $5 a gallon

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
what are you guys going to do for plowing now? last years prices will not yeild much profit now with diesel at all time highs, and over 2 dollars higher than last winter. charge a fuel surcharge like every other transportation based company, just simply raise your rates?

I would. I'm sure the customer will understand. But I could be wrong.

I started plowing my own lots about 8 years ago to save a little money and now, I'm saving a lot.

yeah it makes a big differance. it getas costly when you have these storms that go all day. well for my customers it does. i do mostly commercial business and factory style lots. ups and dhl going in and out, plus they dont shut down for snow so the lots have to stay clear.

I am fuel charging my customers this year, if they balk there is always a snow shovel in their future.........:smilielol5:

I will be sending some 2008/2009 plow season letters out, most likely all driveways will go up $10 and the thres big parking lots on one account will get charged at least $60-80 more as it takes some fuel to get it done............:frown5:

I went up $5 last year on most of mine, $10 on a couple big ones. I felt like that was a big bite, honestly don't see how I can get away with more. In my area people are really hurting because of the economy, last year an awful lot of people went without plowing, heck they just drove on it over and over. Was a real mess all winter but they didn't spend any money. I think this winter will be worse, I'll probably lose accounts as it is without raising prices. And giving them an ultimatum, like they can either pay up or shovel it themselves won't work, because there is always someone who will do it cheaper. I think I work cheap but there's a million plowtrucks around here and when you have a $1000 truck with a gas engine and no insurance, you can work pretty cheap.

I just don't think I can raise my prices this year. I would like to get a couple decent parking lots, my truck is much more suited to lots than it is residentials.

Same thing with mowing, nobody seems to want to pay to have their lawn kept up nice. People are letting everything go just trying to pay for their ful to get to work so they don't lose their house. In fact, the foreclosure rate around here is unbelievable.

I don't know what I'm going to do. It's almost cheaper to stay home, but I've got money invested in the plow and sander. May as well keep wearing the truck out. And who knows, last year we had a lot of snow, this year we may not get much.

Same here, I am just getting some of my accounts to paid in full status, we had a 50%+ increase in snow events and snow totals last season, great for me but bad for people that were used to 4k for the season and now got hit with 8-9k. I raised rates about $2-5 per time when I sent of contracts this month, time will tell. I know a lot of people are going to switch providers cause they thought they were getting screwed, how quick they forget the 3 weeks straight we saw them 1 -2 times per day cause it didn't stop snowing.....then they were happy, they could get out. Oh well, there are more people to plow. We did add 1 new truck this season, last year got old, the Wife was wondering who I was ):h I went to bed at 10 or 11 and got up at 3......

I dont plow with my truck. But, I plow in the winter for a friend of mine. I own a towing company and charge a hook up fee and a mileage fee. That way you can adjust either to make the proper profit. Do you guys charge more for 6 inches of snow than you would for 2?

I bet all these people who we are plowing for have had to increase prices of their products to keep up so why would they expect us not to...Cheap spells out what type of service they get and I know I don't work for free and I bet they don't either. They usually understand when the snow flys and they remember the service they used to have before they balked at the increase and their currant snow removal is not there, been there before when they call and need help. If I have to plow for nothing but dirt cheap will save wear and tear on all equipment and get a good night of sleep instead of upside down debt! Fuel prices are what they are just have to price the job at what is best for your company and your services...

...They usually understand when the snow flys and they remember the service they used to have before they balked at the increase and their currant snow removal is not there, been there before when they call and need help...

yeah, you would think! my uncle lost a big apt. contract last season, because they said our service sucked. we were there all night long every time, and we showed up after 3" were on the ground. even pre-treated for 'em! my cousin moved in there before the winter, and said he was shoveling in front of his door 3 hours after the snow stopped falling. he said they never showed up till after it stopped falling. hope they remember that!

Ken

So now fuel is back down and cheaper than last winter,,, did anyone lose any customers for the fuel surcharge? Or did anyone that thought they would and didn't glad they didn't? My first event was last Sunday 11/31 And i kept my prices the same for my few little old ladies, and they were all very happy to have me. the McDonlads I do, did go up.

When the cost of business goes up so does the price of service.
Just don't get greedy.

I am still waiting on three deadbeats to pay the bill from March !!!

All I can say is they better have a friend with a backhoe, cause the first big storm they will need it get out of the driveway if I don't get paid.

:eek:

not to sure actually, i am contracted and the owner sets a price visa vi the bid he puts in. all my work is charity work so no i wont lower my prices.

G-dam tony. some people just dont get it. from march into april a phone call with "hey can we work something out....." would have been sufficient. the economy is in the shitter and shit happens. but to get blown off completely is bull crap.

Got 2 left myself, deadbeats. :( One is driving around a nice decked Caddy Escalade........ Wont answer the phone, or the door. Looks like this winter will feature mystery snow, very wet when the temp is near zero....Dang that stuff is hard ):h

Back