• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Plow truck 4wd vs 2wd

RD400HP

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 1 ton dump plow truck and where I know a 4wd would be better there are a lot of 2wd's out there and I was wondering how the 2wd's do plowing since they are so plentiful ? Thanks.

Mark

I knew a guy who had an '89 (I think, it was a square body) C30 dually crew cab that he plowed with. The key is weight, good tires, and a good driver. Plan your actions according to the trucks ability. One thing that I'd be worried about is if you could even buy a plow mount for a 4X2 truck, you might have to rig something up if the 4X4 stuff doesn't work on 4X2. How much plowing are you planning on doing? For just light plowing, you might be fine but a 4X4 will always have a huge advantage obviously.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Yeah that's what I thought I was just wondering like I said around my neck of the woods there is a lot of 2wd 1 ton plow trucks. I was going to go look at a 93 Ford I ton 4X4 with the 7.3 diesel until I started reading about some of the problems with the 94 on down 7.3's so I think I'll keep looking, thanks again.

Mark

I've pretty much decided to go with a 4WD right now. I have 2 that I want to go look at their both Ford's one is an 89 F350 with a 460 manual trans and the other is a 01 F450 with a V10 and a auto trans ,both of these are 4WD, thanks for your input. There is one more its a 01 Ford F450 with a Powerstroke but it doesn't have a plow so its last on my list.

Mark

The 460 wouldn't be bad, the v10 is pretty gutless for its size and fuel it sucks.

The f450 chassis would be preferred I'd think.

I was going to ask you guys about the V 10 but I figured somebody would say something about it my neighbor has one but I've never asked him about it. I wish the F450 with Powerstroke had a blade on it but I don't feel like finding and installing a blade right now.

Mark

V 10 is just a 5.4L w/ 2 extra cylinders. They arent big on bottom end torque but they can make decent HP when wound up. They don't have "big block" torque but they suck gas like one. Now once you put it in a F450 Chassis w/ possible 4.88 gears then you might be ok but econ is gonna be even worse.

I think I'll just forget about the V10. Looks like right now the old 89 F350 with the big block might be the one I'll go see. Thanks Tanman.

Mark

Back