• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Please Help! No Fuel & No Start

toddlnrd

My first diesel!
Reaction score
I just changed out the fuel filter, like I have a half a dozen times before. I cannot get the fuel to come out of the bleeder on the fuel filter. Truck will not start.

I don't understand and it is getting late and I am stuck at the in-laws house.

Please give me some suggestions to try!!

Todd

Answered this in PM, but it needs to be posted in the open, too...

JiFaire said:
Gotta be air, Todd. Did you:

a] make sure the filter housing was seated properly? It's easy to get it in there a little off the base, or get dirt on the lip so it leaks. Oh, and you might not see the leak, it may just be air in, not fuel out.

b] bleed the housing - jumper the lift pump, open the bleed screw on top the filter housing and pump out the air. Oh - and is your Lift Pump working? Not just making noise, but actually pumping fuel?

There are others... snotty sock, suddenly dead PMD, dead IP, 8 simultaneously-plugged injectors, etc, but I'd stick with the simple stuff to start with :D

The reason I changed the filter to begin with is I had a small hesitation at light throttle. I thought the filter has not been replaced in a while so that must be it.

Not sure how to check the lift pump. It is making noise like it always has in the past.

Todd

Update

Just spent $100 for new LP.

Installed and truck started and runs great. Bled new filter properly and all seems well.

Wife likes the new diesel cologne :D. Even after shower.

Thanks Jifaire for your suggestions.

Todd

got heath in mine, very different from stock lp. solid fuel delivery. BTW- make sure fuel cap is not drawing vaccum

Back