• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"Performance Cam"

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
I have seen the postings around the web advertising a P400 high performance cam...

I know for a fact their is no such thing and I'm willing to prove it.

If anyone out their has or is going to purchase said cam from any seller that states it is a performance cam for the 6.x motor, I would like to borrow it to run it on the very same cam doctor I ran the other cams on, for free, ALSO I will apply ceramic coating on the cam free of charge and pay the shipping...

I have the cam specs for a stock GM/GEP & P400 posted on my site for all to see, and I will post the specs in the same place for the so called performance cam..

Well ,depends how you look at it, since its not the same as the normal 6.5 cam. There is also,the Sealed Power CS770 which is a little different also.

Normal 6.5 cam can't be purchased from GM or AMG, all are the same part number now and has been for quite some time.. I'm talking about web sellers stating "HP P400 Cam" as a sales ploy...

I had 2 race engine shops look at the specs, PAR Engines & Fulton Competition, they both said the specs were a very minor change and could be considered a manufacturing tolerance. I don't have a thought about that part. A minor change like what is seen in the spec sheet doesn't add up to much in the valve train.

The purposs for this is.... well I get tired of people calling and stating someone else said this and that when I know it's not true, I just want to run the "HP" cam and be done with it...

Does anyone know the specs of an original 6.2 na cam? Or for that matter, the old 5.7 cam? Or maybe even the Ford 6.9/7.3 grinds? Any of these might give some insight as to how to develop an improved grind for the 6.5. Of course it would be equally as important to have the head flow numbers from those motors as well.

The specs I posted are the only FACTORY cam ever made for any 6.x motor.. I ran several cams and one was a old 6.2 cam, all the same specs...

And I have posted flow numbers for several different heads also, both stock & ported.. The only flow numbers I haven't made public yet is my P400 set with big ex valves...

I wasn't aware that you had checked a 6.2 cam. I understand about needing to make changes to run more lift and different timing. The original cam in my Massey 44 made .370" lift at the valve. My current setup makes .484", my next cam will put me up to .605"! Changing rockers from 1.5 to 1.95 creates issues!

Thanks for your work dispelling all the magical hi perf cam myths.

Your forgetting about the optimizer cam,I have one someware. I recall that it was not the same as the regular 6.2/6.5. Do you have the p400 cam part number ?

Chris, I have a Heath cam that I'd be willing to let you check if you coat it. Or have you already done that one?

Are you talking about a SSD offering? "6.5TD Performance Roller Camshaft kit" It would appear their published specs somewhat match the specs for a standard cam you listed on your website.

SSD's bad reputation makes me ask: Have you ever coated a dog turd and is there such a thing as a clean end? :yuck:

Back