• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Performance Adder, Which to Choose

Chevy Diesel

TinkereR
Reaction score
I am considering 2 performance adders for my build that is in progress and am not sure which, if either, will give a better result.

1) Heath HP#3 camshaft ~$700
2) Peninsular Aluminum Rocker Arm Assembly ~$1200

Both have different valve springs and the aluminum rocker arm assembly has a 1.6 lift vs the stock 1.5, but I am not sure of the pros vs cons, beyond that, of the 2 choices.

I COULD get both, but that cuts alot of my tax return away and I want to have reserve money in case something else comes up during the build that I need to get. Should have just gotten the peninsular ported cylinder heads w/ aluminum rocker assembly when I got my new heads, but at the time decided to pinch pennies...stupid :shiiiiiite:...

Right now I am leaning more toward the camshaft because it would be alot easier to go in later, if i wanted, and add the rocker arm assembly vs regretting not putting the camshaft in (lot more work!)

Any help?

Thanks,
KV

I would change the turbo with that kind of money instead. The factory setup won't let the valve train or porting improvements do much. The miserable factory turbo is just too small and has the waste gate blown open around 2200 RPM with no throttle. Thus it is choking the engine more than anything else.

Follow up with a 4" exaust and tune. You will then have a different animal that will pull all the way to redline vs. the fall over and die after 2200 RPM the factory setup gets you.

Plenty of dyno runs and other info in the performance section.

War wagon, thanks for the reply, I forgot to put in the post not to pay attention to my signature, assume all the common common performance mods and reliability mods are being done. Exhaust, turbo, etc etc. That is the reason I am looking at these types of modifications. All the other stuff, and then some, has been done or is being done (will cover all that in my built thread once I get the time to put that all together.

ak diesel driver, thanks for the reply, do you know if the Harland kit comes with new valve springs and, something I forgot to put down with the peninsular kit, equalized push rods?

I would go with the cam. you will probably pick up the most power with that and someone around here needs to test it so we can get some feedback on it:hihi: Then when funds allow you can pick up the rockers which should compliment the cam upgrade well. irrc also heath provides different springs with the cam.

Well ordered the cam last night, should be here week of the 11th then ill have to send my max e tork back to them to get it reflashed for the cam. Woody, I don't mind bein the guinea pig, only problem is I don't have a baseline of where I was at and with all the other improvements being done at same time I'm not sure ill be able to quantify the cam gains :dunno:

ak diesel driver, i would like to do that, but well, the engine is already all tore apart, and when I get this cam I have to send my old one back to heath to get my core charge back...

I will be able to compare the new tune to the old max-e-tork tune I had and see what was done in the programming, and try to come up with a logical conclusion.

Thanks for the input guys.

What would be the benefit of going with the new rocker arms, above the fact that the stock ones are crap? What will increasing the lift ratio gain me? Are they worth the 750 or 1200 dollars?

From what I understand, if you go with the cam, you don't want a different rocker arm ratio. Already a lift there.

With the roller rockers, your not adding power, per say, but freeing up power by reducing friction. Not gobbs of power mind you, but a little here and a little there add up.

I've got the Heath Cam . I did a couple of runs, 0-60 on the old motor with OEM Cam prior to the swap, which included an engine. I'll post up the new times once I get it on the road and broke in. Sorry it won't be right away. More Apple's to Oranges with the new motor and HP Cam vs old 215K miles engine but its the best I can do. Sorry.

Concure with sshewins comment regarding roller rocker compatability. From my conversations with Bill Heath, the roller rockers and increase valve travel enough that they aren't compatable with his cams. I'd suggest you call him and confirm.

Back