• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Peninsular Intake Upper and MAP Sensor Relocation Question

handcannon

Reaction score
I'm in the process of swapping in a Holset HX35W turbo from an 01 Dodge Cummins. I'm also using the Peninsular upper intake. This is going into a 94 K2500 vin F pickup. The stock vacuum controls for the GMx wastegate were removed and a turbomaster installed sometime before I got the vehicle. I'm considering using the current turbomaster on the Holset.

My Question---- Since the GMx wastgate has been controlled by the turbomaster, no vacuum system anymore, and I will probably use it to also control the wastegate on the Holset, is the MAP sensor now not needed? I currently can't think of anything it is needed for, but I'm not highly knowledgeable about the MAP sensor and what it is used for on the vin F motors.

The stock MAP sensor has the wiring connector on the bottom (see pics), the same side of the sensor which plugs into the stock manifold. This configuration makes it impossible to mount the MAP sensor on the Peninsular intake in anywhere like stock form.

If the MAP sensor is needed I'm considering using a barb on the Peninsular intake, a piece of vacuum tubing from that barb to the barb on the MAP sensor, and remote mounting the sensor. Does anybody know any reason why this should not be done?

Don

Attachments

• IMGP1494.jpg
    IMGP1494.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMGP1495.jpg
    IMGP1495.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMGP1496.jpg
    IMGP1496.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 5
Barb and hose will work. It was done on 635's motor with the barb tapped into the lower intake manifold. Where are you taping in the 5/8 NPT port for the IAT sensor? 635 put his in the lower as well. I didn't want to go this route so designed a spacer to do the job. A lot of fun but costly in time and $$$ so, if I were to do it over, I'd tap simply tap the lower manifold for both.

I haven't actually decided where to drill and tap yet. I've been looking at the boss on the back of the peninsular upper, but haven't done any checking or measuring yet.

I've been busy with the mods needed for the HX35 when it suddenly hit me that the MAP sensor wouldn't work the way it was set up on the stock upper. I tried to plan everything ahead of time so I wouldn't get any surprises, but the MAP sensor caught me by surprise.

Isn't the IAT sensor 3/8ths NPT? I have a 1/4 NPT tap and the sensor is just a little bigger than the tap is.

Don

I apologize as I incorrectly stated the size of the IAT threads. I went out to find the tap and confirm that 3/8th NPT is the correct size. Its in the spacer write up too "3/8 NPT.... Boy, I'm glad you said something. I would have felt real stupid if you'd taken my word for it. I'd have had to $hell out for a lower intake to correct that error.

What are you using to make the other bends to get to the Turbo?

Nothing to worry about there. I dug through my piles of stuff and found an unopened package from Home Desperate with a brass fitting labeled 3/8ths barb X 3/8ths NPT. It was an exact match for the threads on the IAT sensor. It's not that I don't trust you , just that I like to compare and confirm. That's just me, the way I am. I'll get me a 3/8ths NPT tap tomorrow, but I'll take the IAT sensor along with me for additional comparison.

I'm using the stock Cummins long sweep elbow. Then I picked up some DMax silicone fittings from a pick-n-pull and got a hump hose from a place a few miles away, Columbia River Tube or something like that. Anyway, the Cummins long sweep increases the diameter of the turbo outlet to three inches, and the rest of the silicone tubes will be three inches all the way to the Peninsular upper.

I'll get some pics when I get this all put together.

Don

Yeah you still need the MAP, so the PCM can see what the actual boost is. Technically, with screwing with the program its possible to eliminate it and the codes that would defuel you because of it, and just run fuel based on pedal input and RPM, but it would be some hassle. I like being able to use the scanner to monitor or verify things as well, so its another source of dat. There is also a MAP/BARO sensor on the firewall that you need to keep.

I'm using the stock Cummins long sweep elbow. Then I picked up some DMax silicone fittings from a pick-n-pull and got a hump hose from a place a few miles away, Columbia River Tube or something like that. Anyway, the Cummins long sweep increases the diameter of the turbo outlet to three inches, and the rest of the silicone tubes will be three inches all the way to the Peninsular upper.

I'll get some pics when I get this all put together.

Don

I look forward to seeing it. I used the cummins elbow at the peninsular and metal tubing to the turbo. So I'm running stock diameter off the turbo for the first 90 and the cummins for the second 90 to the intake. Either way, it's all good.

In 94, even "F" motors have them. The PCM uses it for Barometric Pressure still. The OBDII truck use the intake MAP for that and boost.

I still keep learning about these trucks evan after all these years. Thanks for the lesson, Buddy!!!

I look forward to seeing it. I used the cummins elbow at the peninsular and metal tubing to the turbo. So I'm running stock diameter off the turbo for the first 90 and the cummins for the second 90 to the intake. Either way, it's all good.

i got it together far enough to drive it this morning as I need transportation, but the intake is not finished, just temporarily cobbled together.

I'm working on a battery relocate and ran into a setback on the battery tray I was modifying. So I just temporarily clamped the filter directly to the turbo.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of how you did your pressure side intake also. I'm always interested in others solutions as it gives me good ideas, and often even better solutions than what I came up with.

I'll get the intake system finished up this coming week and get my pics then.

Don

Thanks Buddy, much appreciated. I've got another set up from 635. I've been removing the paint to polish it up. Just the narrow parts to do with a Dremel tool. Pictures to follow if that's ok by Handcannon.

This is the bracket I made for mine with the peninsular intake. I made it out of aluminum. I know, I'm missing a bolt, I have it just need to put it back in

8051849892342_ORIG.jpg2051850040825_ORIG.jpg

Thanks Buddy, much appreciated. I've got another set up from 635. I've been removing the paint to polish it up. Just the narrow parts to do with a Dremel tool. Pictures to follow if that's ok by Handcannon.

Go for it!!

I'm open to anything that will give me, or anybody else in the future for that matter, different ideas for doing these kind of mods.

I appreciate all the info and ideas that I've been able to learn from that are to be found here on TTS. I just hope that somehow, someway, someday I can be of help to somebody else.

You're NEVER too old to learn something new.

Don

This is the bracket I made for mine with the peninsular intake. I made it out of aluminum. I know, I'm missing a bolt, I have it just need to put it back in

View attachment 33548View attachment 33549

Nice!!

Good solution to the problem. I just used a scrap of strap metal for a temporary mount using the side bolt on the upper intake. I don't know if I have any aluminum scrap around, but I like the idea of using aluminum instead of steel, no galvanic corrosion chances.

Don

Same parts I used just not tapped like these were for WMI, Propane and NOX.

Peninsular Upper. It was tapped 1/8 NPT near the built up portion. Despite that, I want to use it to replace mine because this one has been extrude honed. This will make my finished set up an extrude honed polished path from the Turbo to the pistons and then from the pistons to the exhaust pipe as even the exhaust manifolds have been extruded.
IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg I got some of the paint out of nooks and crannies with the dremel wire brush but the rotational speed with the pressure against the parts caused the wire brissels(sp) to come flying out at warp 9. I was warned of this and was wearing safety glasses. Still, got skewered by the flying steel wires penetrating through my shirt. It is going to take a couple more of them to finish it all up.

Cummins 90* elbow.
IMG_1583.jpg
It made the jump from stock 2" - 2.5" to the 3" openings easy. It has a factory 1/8 NPT tap point and Ted added a second tap point for the NOX at the back of the elbow just visible at the apex of the bend. Its threaded 8mm 1pitch. I'm not having any luck finding a bolt for that! I'm probably going to have to re-tap it 1/8 NPT so it can be plugged.

Back