• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Peninsular Engines towing turbo?

Without trying to start something, I'll just throw this out:

271.9 hp @ 3200 rpm / 446.3 tq @ 1900 rpm at the wheels and that was on a dyno dynamics 450. DD's are widely recognized as the stingiest dyno's out there and they are nicknamed "the heartbreaker" because of it. Those numbers are without any power adders like Meth, propane, nitrous, etc. I do have post turbo water injection (devils own progressive) but it was inop that day (and inop since then) due to a roached pump.

I won't say what turbo I use because it's not popular round these parts and it only starts controversy that doesn't need to be in this thread. I know what I use and it works for me, that will have to be good enuff. That's not to say I'm not up for a new experiment when my current setup wears out.

;)

The turbo is a part of making power on these engines, but not the only thing that matters. It's more a supporting cast member than the main character in this play.

There are many misconceptions rolling about regarding turbo's on a 6.X. I also won't go in to that either as it would just be more controversy that doesn't need to be here.

Mine is limited to 13 psi max before it pops off (yup, it's wastegated. yup, it makes use of the OEM vacuum system). Something that was denounced as not possible and build the power I'm seeing, many times, in many places, by many people.

Yup, it runs strong. Yup, it gets nearly 19 MPG. Yup, it runs below 1100 F when towing.

It took nearly 8 hours on the Dyno to sort that all out. It was a fun day for all involved and a very good mutual learning experience.

I will also say that Ferm seems to have a decent handle about what's going down underneath those big thick head castings....take from that what you will.

:)

So start a new thread about your final build already! There are many ways to get power out of a 6.5 some being easier than others. :thumbsup: WTH we could use a little lively drama around here for a change. :hihi:

Im guessing stock turbo?

He has an old build thread around where he traveled across country and had Heath Diesel drop in an engine. Probably a GM8 turbo now with other engine mods some not yet well known. Maybe even twin GM8's... :hihi: Got to admire building power around the handicap of the GM turbo because it isn't easy. It appears there are plenty of other airflow restrictions in a 6.5.

After the drama the ATT brought up you can't blame anyone for not wanting to share. :nonod: I had hoped this site was a little different for some. 6.5L had fun sharing his BD valve project...

After the drama the ATT brought up you can't blame anyone for not wanting to share. :nonod: I had hoped this site was a little different for some....

This site IS different. If you had posted that on DP, rummy-the-jackwad would have had a meltdown and shown you the door for the blasphemy of posting the letters "ATT". Here, we just ;) roll our eyes... :hihi:

This site IS different. If you had posted that on DP, rummy-the-jackwad would have had a meltdown and shown you the door for the blasphemy of posting the letters "ATT". Here, we just ;) roll our eyes... :hihi:

I agree the site IS different for me and others. :thumbsup:

He has an old build thread around where he traveled across country and had Heath Diesel drop in an engine. Probably a GM8 turbo now with other engine mods some not yet well known. Maybe even twin GM8's... :hihi: Got to admire building power around the handicap of the GM turbo because it isn't easy. It appears there are plenty of other airflow restrictions in a 6.5.

After the drama the ATT brought up you can't blame anyone for not wanting to share. :nonod: I had hoped this site was a little different for some. 6.5L had fun sharing his BD valve project...

Yeah umm, no to all of that except that I have an old thread on the forum.

Without trying to sound rude, whatever ATT stuff went on between whatever web sites has nothing to do with my choice to keep my work to a very small, select and local group.

Just so I'm not completely off topic, as an FYI, the Penisular turbo if a Borg Warner unit.

What's going on inside the casings is their own business.

Or at least it was last time I talked to them about it.

:)

I had a blast sharing that diverter valve project. Lot of drama but still fun. It was nice to get away from the same thing here. Although still turbo related, it was on a drastically different course and idea and it was a great experience and I know I learned a lot from it. I finally figured out how to adjust the valve, which has a lot of potential still, and it got a lot of idea's rolling. I have no problem sharing. I can handle the drama because in the end it is for the greater good of the 6.5L crowd. Which is a bonus. I hope in some way my projects and experience can help others. I am not afraid to post up and share.....

Don't feel like a steep child.... look back at some of the comments about my build using the coatings like I did, I got a lot of flack from folks that don't know anything about them.... just consider the source it's coming from most of the time and keep on truckin....

Don't feel like a steep child.... look back at some of the comments about my build using the coatings like I did, I got a lot of flack from folks that don't know anything about them.... just consider the source it's coming from most of the time and keep on truckin....

Speaking of which, how is that motor running?

Speaking of which, how is that motor running?

Great, made a few changes here & there... better air filter set-up..WMI up & going.. testing the timing now, under it's normal towing duty's, so it is taking some time to find what it likes best...

It will dyno this fall if I can find the time..

Penn Turbo is an S2E Borg Warner unit. I've got one but took it apart to rebuild it as I got it second hand. I do want to see how it performs. It's going to be similar to an ATT as it's going to be laggy and smoke on the bottom end but have air flow up top with medium boost levels (won't really overboost).

Not too big on non-gated turbos with big A/R's.

In talking to Penn they are working on improving the S2E version they have with a larger compressor wheel to improve air flow. This should help it perform better when spooled up, which would make it a pretty decent turbo. The 6.5 requires a lot more air than most think just by displacement. It was after all a naturally aspirated engine to start with.

I may get that turbo put together and put it on the Rollback Wrecker, should be a good platform for testing.

Penn Turbo is an S2E Borg Warner unit. I've got one but took it apart to rebuild it as I got it second hand. I do want to see how it performs. It's going to be similar to an ATT as it's going to be laggy and smoke on the bottom end but have air flow up top with medium boost levels (won't really overboost).

Not too big on non-gated turbos with big A/R's.

In talking to Penn they are working on improving the S2E version they have with a larger compressor wheel to improve air flow. This should help it perform better when spooled up, which would make it a pretty decent turbo. The 6.5 requires a lot more air than most think just by displacement. It was after all a naturally aspirated engine to start with.

I may get that turbo put together and put it on the Rollback Wrecker, should be a good platform for testing.

It's going to be similar to an ATT as it's going to be laggy and smoke on the bottom end but have air flow up top with medium boost levels (won't really overboost).

Do you own an ATT ? My ATT doesn't exibit any lag or smoke with a factory tune or the tune I am running, does your ATT smoke and lag? I can help you fix what is broken in your truck so the turbo will work as it is supposed to if you do have an ATT.

Back