• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pastor Tim

Isaiah_0

Reaction score
08 Chevy 3500HD
grew up in a GM family
Married 41 years, 3 kids, 9 grandkids
1st Diesel ever.
looking for advice on making it last next to forever.
retiring in May 2020 from Air Force Civil Service after 42 years
Towing a DRV Suites 37' 5th wheeljG2D4ORmRviWLH9WGUsdDw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TTS!

Thank you for your service! And even more importantly, please thank the spouse for putting-up with the military life!!!

How to make the vehicle last forever? One word: M-O-N-E-Y! :) Check out the Duramax section for motor specific things.

Welcome to The Truck Stop! Fellow veteran myself. Thanks for your service. Your LMM is pretty much like my LBZ exceptvfor the additional pollution stuff on yours so, as Jay said, do some reading and ask questions if needed.

Avoid WIX plastic fuel filters. Carry a spare fuel filter and tools to change it.

The oil is good for the GM oil monitor life of just under 10k miles with ONE exception: high % of biodiesel. The post injection with biodiesel likes to contaminate the engine oil. Try and avoid 20% pumps and keep it under 5%.

You will find some grades where the ECT likes to warm up, but, not enough throttle to downshift. You should manually downshift.

And most importantly make sure the heated washer fluid has been removed as GM's undersized wires for it burn the truck down.

Thank you all. I'm really looking forward to retirement. Any advice there would also be greatly appreciated.

Back