• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Passenger Side Valve Cover Removal

Gasket? This has never had a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Did not realize there was one there.

Optional. These engines are so "dirty" they will soot seal the manifolds and turbo without the need for a gasket. A gasket esp. a exhaust manifold gasket is another area to "blow out" and fail. If they do not seal up the old manifolds are warped and need replacement.

Our injection lines are not equal length and they are not coated internally. Given that diesel is basically not compressible I can't see equal length being a huge deal unless it gets drastic
? I believe that's wrong. The inj. lines on my DB2 seem to all be equal length. Otherwise, it would affect inj. timing.

Been thinking about the length of the lines. I don’t think longer or different length lines would affect timing.

imagine a 2” line and a 24” line. When the lines are empty, yes the 24” will be empty a long time while the 2” is full and working. But then once they are both full and up to pressure 2100 psi lets say..
If 3cc of fuel comes in one end, it will push 3cc out the other end no matter the length.

There is a hydrological and engineer at work, I been wanting to catch him to go over this to make sure I am thinking right.

Even if not and a person wanted to make new lines, you could make all 8 exactly same distance longer by having the loop up and over the valve covers just be 3” taller than they are now and you could remove valve covers without ever touching the lines.

Why I been wanting that was before the roller rocker set came available, I was wanting to switch the arms over to individual stud type that are adjustable like bbc. Far more precise engine operation but you have to adjust them every so often.

Then custom 2 piece valve cover to only remove the top flat piece. With that the lines would only have to be 1” higher

Been thinking about the length of the lines. I don’t think longer or different length lines would affect timing.

imagine a 2” line and a 24” line. When the lines are empty, yes the 24” will be empty a long time while the 2” is full and working. But then once they are both full and up to pressure 2100 psi lets say..
If 3cc of fuel comes in one end, it will push 3cc out the other end no matter the length.

There is a hydrological and engineer at work, I been wanting to catch him to go over this to make sure I am thinking right.

Even if not and a person wanted to make new lines, you could make all 8 exactly same distance longer by having the loop up and over the valve covers just be 3” taller than they are now and you could remove valve covers without ever touching the lines.

Why I been wanting that was before the roller rocker set came available, I was wanting to switch the arms over to individual stud type that are adjustable like bbc. Far more precise engine operation but you have to adjust them every so often.

Then custom 2 piece valve cover to only remove the top flat piece. With that the lines would only have to be 1” higher

Agree Will L. No different than assymetrical length brake lines. They stop all the wheels at the same time, else we'd be end around real fast.

it's in here, I don't remember if I posted the exact length or not

"The pressure inside the line is not at injecting pressure. If it was, the injector would stay open, pouring fuel into the cylinder constantly. When the pump sends the pressure pulse, it will take a millisecond for that pressure wave to reach the injector tip. If the lines are not equal length, the pressure wave will be ever so slightly different, affecting the individual cylinder timing.

If not, why would all the engine manufacturers waste time and money making the looped equal length lines standard?"

The above was from another diesel forum. I agree with the pressure pulse timing and the need for equal length lines. But another poster said the Cat 3208 engine had different length lines. Maybe it's just not that important. Interesting subject anyhow.

The loops that are by the master cylinder on brake system is for vibration and room for body moving separate from frame via body mounts and moving lines when replacing components. That has nothing to do with the brake line length difference.
good example btwBigT. Go look at the brake lines on the rear axle. The “T” is way off to one side and the difference in length driver side vs passanger side is over a foot.

As to the pressure in the fuel line. If injectors open at 2100, dump out- say it falls to 5psi. (Anyone it’s done any pop testing can tell you were stays way over 5psi by the way) The line is still 100% full. The injectors are going to dump same amount each time no matter location. So the ip refills and pressurizes all the lines the same each time. The ip is way over 4,000 psi btw.

I have a set of DB2 lines and a set of DS4 lines But it won’t be until after turkey day that I can measure them.

40 years ago I was told inj. lines were the same length. I had the ball break off of a line and an old mechanic told me I should get a new line made. I put a brass ferule on it and 20+ years later it's still working. In a perfect world that is probably ideal. My world isn't perfect.

Back