• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pane Project Pics

buddy

Reaction score
Here is my Propane Fumigation project, just for you Matt, so anxious.

It worked well until my pressure switches failed, dont put those on the intake, found warning on the box afterwards.

So when I get new pressure switches or figure out a better way to do it on the cheap I'll update this, but thought you might like the pics.

Pane tank in empty tool box-small.jpg Pane tank installed-small.jpg Pane hose WMI tank and pump-small.jpg
Here you see the 8.5 gallon bully dog tank which was a big cost driver, $450. I had to get this long cylinder to put in my tool box, because the box was already taking up so much bed space and my truck doesnt sit high off the ground and not enough room under truck. I bolted the tank support to the front of the box and set it down on carpeted plywood. I ran a 16' braided steel hose from tank up to regulator in the engine bay. I installed the 3/4" piping up to a new fill valve ($30) and had it purged and leak checked ($25). This way I can pop open the box and fill it up without expensive remote fill kit. Otherwise I couldnt access the fill valve obviously with it in the box. You can only fill up 80% of your tank, so take that into consideration. There are relief valves to stop it at 80% full. Inexperienced gas station attendants may not know that, but make sure you open the valve and stop filling when it starts coming out. You can see propane hose going out a hole I cut in the box and I ran it down between the cab and bed. Also there is my 5 gallon aluminum WMI tank and the WMI pump next to it. So I got the pane tank, water tank ($100) and the pump ($100) in the tool box. And still room for my random junk (worthless). Maybe some sealed batteries (too expensive) in the future.

Pane regulator on fender-small.jpg Pane sparge tubes installed (2)-small.jpg Pane sparge tubes installed (1)-small.jpg
Here I installed the regulator ($200) on the passenger fender where the airbox used to be. I just used a couple L brackets to suspend it there. I put plastic loom and aluminum tape around the propane supply line as it is routed by the exhaust. I also aluminum wrapped some of the hoses that go to the intake. The regulator has a solenoid ($30) on the supply that I triggered with a 4psi Hobbs switch ($18). Then I split the regulator output and put a propane solenoid ($30) on one of the lines activated by a Hobbs pressure switch adjusted to 9psi. I also piped the heater hose into the regulator, which ensures absolutely that the propane hitting the intake is all in its gaseous state. The heater hose isnt required unless using Liquid propane, but the location was so convenient to just cut the line and hook it up. The second solenoid is hiding on the fender behind the hoses.

Pane sparge tubes (1)-small.jpg Pane sparge tubes (2)-small.jpg
So the sparge tubes ($40 each) are the real secret to my setup, or at least the point of importance. I have two, one for each stage of boost. The propane flow is adjusted at the sparge tube, based on how much I open the bolt on it. The sparge tubes were costly themselves, but well made. I got a 1/4" NPT coupler, cut it in half, and a 3" exhaust pipe and had a local guy weld it up to give me what you see ($30 total). I like how it turned out.

Having the two solenoids and flow adjusted at the sparge tube it allows me to let in just a little at 4psi. I have the stage 1 sparge tube almost half open. Then at 9psi when the other solenoid opens the stage 2 sparge tube is like 3/4 open and they both are going then.

I run the propane simultaneously with WMI. WMI will retard fuel ignition, which I thought would be nice when putting in a volatile gas in with it :) Propane has a high autoignition temp, higher than diesel, but with the Precombustion chamber there could be preignition of the propane. So you got to hover around the percentage of propane that is not combustable in air, like 5% I think it was, or maybe the water helps with this. Im not sure, but I had no preignition issues on a 2200 mile one way trip I tested it with up the Rocky mountains. There were times when I hit some boost and the truck was taking off quick even with the cruise set at 75MPH it would go to 90MPH on its own. the propane was making my truck fly up these mts. Later I realized the pressure switch was shorted out so both stages were going whenever it activated. Oops, but no harm luckily. Then I quick rewired at a rest stop to just operate off of switch. I probably used up the 7 gallons of propane with about 80 gallons of fuel, thats one fillup for me. I was getting about 24MPG on that long haul with the pane and WMI going, all interstate for 2200 miles in two days going 75-80MPH.

Obviously propane costs so any MPG gains are a bust, but I had some considerable power spurts with the propane going. Ultimately an expensive proposition, and a real kit from Heath is going to end up being like $800 without a tank. I was talking to the guys that made the setup for Ian and they wanted $600 for a used bench test system. but that would be an awesome boost variable regulator, only one line and one sparge tube and well regulated flow through boost. I would only really recommend it for people hauling serious weight, 10K+ lbs. Unless you just like to go really fast :)

Last edited:
I dont know what power it adds, just that its noticeable.

If I find a dyno in my area or some kind of event in the area I might do that when its all the way I want it. I want to try it with and without the propane/WMI. And separate times with ATT vs GM4 turbos.

Then next summer I have some other plans.......

You dont see it much because of the IDI engine, precombustion chamber. It has great potential to preignite, backfire and break some stuff. Thats why you have to let it in proportional to boost, when there is more air mass, so the propane is diluted to a not so easily combustable ratio. And I'm guessing the WMI is helping me too. When I first asked about it, there were a lot of naysayers. I did it anyway, and coincidentally Ian and Heath worked something out too.

Nice and neat, looks well-made. Nice job!

'Pane has always been a big power-adder and mileage aid in non-IDI diesels, but there are fine lines on ours that needed to be more carefully managed than just using your basic bolt-on BullyDog or Powershot... too many people blew up their 6.5s by trying to use something that worked fine on a cummins without keeping in mind that these engines ARE different.

The point has never been 'it can't be done', just that 'it can't be done the same way'.

Good application to practice, Buddy! I know Bill and Ian have worked something out, also, but it's great to see something that one can build, rather than just buy... for the DIY guys in the crowd!

Did the pictures all get bigger recently?

Now they are full size in the posts, compared to about 1/3 size before.

It messes up the alignment of some. Is this an option in the advanced are when posting?

Any way to open this back up for edits, and the FTB pics one too?

Its happen-ing...I'm tweaking some photo software. I havent gotten it where I like it quite yet.

Thanks, I liked the way you could click on them and it would pop up in the same window and you could scroll through. that is a very good way of doing it, so they dont have to take up so much space in the thread and it didnt open a new window or navigate you away. Although having a choice to show full size as an option would be nice.

I like what you have done with your propane and water systems. It took me a lot of time to work out a safe effective amount of propane to add and at what boost pressure. Adding propane linear to boost pressure is the way to go but you do need to pay close attention to any odd sounds from the motor because that stuff can sneek up on you fast, plus it is hard not to want to turn it up and really see what it will do.

I did a lot of talking with Matt Snow over at Snow Performance when I was working on the propane system. Since methanol and water can create what is known as quench or a delay in auto ignition, and propane can cause premature auto ignition I figured using the two with nitrous at the right ratio would help balance eachother out and allow the use of more of each. I still have not fine tuned that theory because I was under a time issue to get my truck done in time for the US Diesel Parts dyno event. But even with modest amounts off all the drugs and a GM-4 turbo I was still able to crack the 300hp mark.

This new truck I am working on with the A-Team Turbo will give me a better chance to get the ratios a little more refined and maybe hit the 350hp mark. Or at least as close to it as I can. This is a completely different truck than mine so I don't really know what it will do. I would love to chat with you about your system if you ever want to give me a call just send me a pm.

Ian

Thanks Ian, the propane works real well when staged or that linear progression. A single stage even when set at higher boost I dont think would work as smoothly.

When I had tried turning it up it would work fine if cruising and then came into a hill, so going 70MPH and boost climbed over 4psi. But it did cause a buck when just accelerating from a stop so I turned it back down some at the 4psi stage and it was smooth still.

I have not fine tuned mine in any way, just did some general calculations on the water and vague guessing on the propane based on my conversations with the guys making the proportional regulators, like the one these guys have which I guess I would recommend is what the 6.5 would need to use.
http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/

I only use the two small water nozzles, 300cc and 200cc staged at 100psi and a "3rd stage" which is just a relay that removes resistance to up the pump to about 130psi at 14V instead of 12V (my homemade progressive control). I found that the water lines would spring leaks at the push together connections over 150psi, and I got a plastic line to burst at almost 200psi when I was just running a gauge on it and not spraying. When I get my final pressure switch config down I'll post up my schematic, but I might just go for the progressive water controller rather than buying a few pressure switches.

Thanks Ian, the propane works real well when staged or that linear progression. A single stage even when set at higher boost I dont think would work as smoothly.

When I had tried turning it up it would work fine if cruising and then came into a hill, so going 70MPH and boost climbed over 4psi. But it did cause a buck when just accelerating from a stop so I turned it back down some at the 4psi stage and it was smooth still.

I have not fine tuned mine in any way, just did some general calculations on the water and vague guessing on the propane based on my conversations with the guys making the proportional regulators, like the one these guys have which I guess I would recommend is what the 6.5 would need to use.
http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/

I only use the two small water nozzles, 300cc and 200cc staged at 100psi and a "3rd stage" which is just a relay that removes resistance to up the pump to about 130psi at 14V instead of 12V (my homemade progressive control). I found that the water lines would spring leaks at the push together connections over 150psi, and I got a plastic line to burst at almost 200psi when I was just running a gauge on it and not spraying. When I get my final pressure switch config down I'll post up my schematic, but I might just go for the progressive water controller rather than buying a few pressure switches.

I talked with Matt Snow recently and was informed that they just came out with a new improved pump which he sent me and is in fact much better along with the lowering of prices. Are you running a 2 stage system or could you settle for a single stage? Send me a privite message to answer this one if you would.

Thanks,

Ian

Back