• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Paintless dent repair, and other vehicle hail damage questions

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

We got a pretty bad hailstorm last night, and stuff got dented up pretty good.

Had a few questions:

What is paintless dent repair/ how does it work?

Do insurance companies raise rates much due to hail repair? I only have one covered rig, the 06 Chevy 3500, got the windshield, cab clearance lights, hood, and a few dents here and there on the roof and doors. I would love to have it taken care of, but dont want to see a huge rise in insurance.

For the non-full coverage insured rigs, how much does a dent repair treatment cost roughly (Extended cab long bed pickup, so alot of real estate to pick up hail dents.)

Finally, for the ones that are a little deeper and actually chipped the paint loose, what do repairs usually consist of there? Weld on studs and puller? Does it usually work, or does it end up bondo-ed?

Any info appreciated, thanks!

My buddy does paintless repair and has a local body shop with his dad. He has large dealer contracts and fully rigged trailers with work lights for getting the right angles.

Most dents are repairable. The ones that can't be pushed out through paintless are pulled with studs and a slide hammer or use a hammer and dolly. Most good body guys don't want more filler than absolutely required either, it will take a small skim of filler to smooth things out.

I have had dents from base balls pushed out paintless before. Although it wasnt perfect, I could barely find it unless I looked. If you don't need perfect and paint is still good just go paintless. If paint is bad then white paint is cheap at least

Silver is easier to blend than blue. They will just repaint the hood/upper fenders to match at the blue paint line.

On my gmt400's I've bought straight hoods and had them painted to match for cheaper than hail dent repair.

The new 350 truck has hail damage on the hood, a new hood and bed lined roof are likely

On a related note. We have 2 rust spots on the roof of our 2006 Jeep Liberty. I'm not so concerned about matching the paint as having the roof repaired as long as it looks decent. I saw a similar Jeep with a black roof that looked good. I was wondering if there was a coating that could be used to avoid cutting off the roof and replacing it. It'd be even better if it was something I could do myself

Back