• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Painted black Wheels (any info?)

I painted my stock steelies black with stock black center caps and chrome trim rings. It turned out pretty good.

garageimage.php

The guy who had my truck painted the rims a real dark grey, almsot black. I think they look pretty good.

you can wipe a heavy coat of vaseline on the rubber, then wash it off when the paint dries. anything petroleum based like maybe even tire shine products will not allow the paint to adhere to the rubber

I'm sure any short of wire brush/sandpaper would take the paint off of rubber pretty easy, however, masking would avoid it. My aluminum piece masked the tire in 4 separate spots and took less than 3 seconds to move it around the rim. Once the indented radius I cut it was bent (at a stand up angle) it hooked right into the rim/tire space and holds itself. Amazing how well it worked. I guess everyone may not have a 2'x2' piece of aluminum kicking around (super thing gauge)

The deck of cards idea sounds nice too. Newspaper and tape, is good for the 'die-hard' but way to long to mask off that round endge for me :) (times 6 tires)

I'm sure any short of wire brush/sandpaper would take the paint off of rubber pretty easy, however, masking would avoid it. My aluminum piece masked the tire in 4 separate spots and took less than 3 seconds to move it around the rim. Once the indented radius I cut it was bent (at a stand up angle) it hooked right into the rim/tire space and holds itself. Amazing how well it worked. I guess everyone may not have a 2'x2' piece of aluminum kicking around (super thing gauge)

The deck of cards idea sounds nice too. Newspaper and tape, is good for the 'die-hard' but way to long to mask off that round endge for me :) (times 6 tires)
Yeah, the tape/newspaper is great once you get it done, but it does take a LONG time. I only had to do 4 on the taco, but it was an afternoon project. It was a saturday in Georgia though, so there are worse things then spending time outside in the sun.

Whatever method you do, you are still going to have to tape up the valve stems, but that's pretty easy.

Yeah, the tape/newspaper is great once you get it done, but it does take a LONG time. I only had to do 4 on the taco, but it was an afternoon project. It was a saturday in Georgia though, so there are worse things then spending time outside in the sun.

Whatever method you do, you are still going to have to tape up the valve stems, but that's pretty easy.

When I used tape I would take a piece about 5" and stick in on over the rim and then take a utility knife and cut around the rim. It took maybe 20 min to do both sides of both wheels. The tractor rims had a lip on the outside of the rim so that wouldnt get painted using cardboard or aluminum but then again Im really picky.

Rustoleum flat black rattle can, beauty rings, stock center caps. They looked that good for over a year, up till the day I sold the truck.
2179350240046140835S600x600Q85.jpg

2395959190046140835S600x600Q85.jpg

I`ll have to do mine after winter,here we have two sets of tyres with or with out studs, then we have the summer one...On ally wheels.....

Sorry guys the black will look nicer with the "Gold Bowtie" caps, but you've done a good job...:thumbsup:

Back