• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Paint prep

Big T

Reaction score
So I got this hood for my wife’s 4Runner:
IMG_1260.jpeg
Very good condition, but the 4Runner is Magnetic Grey, so this will need to be repainted.

For prep, do I just sand down the existing paint and spray base and top coats over it? Or do I strip it down to bare metal, spray primer then base and top coats? What about the underside of the hood? Just sand and spray base coats?

The bottom side will need to be thoroughly degreased, then the paint scuffed so the new will stick. The topside will be similar but you shouldn't have to worry about degreasing quite so much. As long as everything with the old paint is good (no chips etc) it just needs scuffed so the new paint has something to stick to.

The bottom side will need to be thoroughly degreased, then the paint scuffed so the new will stick. The topside will be similar but you shouldn't have to worry about degreasing quite so much. As long as everything with the old paint is good (no chips etc) it just needs scuffed so the new paint has something to stick to.
What grit sandpaper do I use to scuff it?

Back