• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 heads for sale. $1200 + freight.

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I have two sets only, brand new it the crates. Normally $900 each + freight.
Complete heads with valves, springs, and turbo precups. They come sealed in silver plastic bags and have an oil soaked material to keep them in perfect condition.
p400 head for sale.jpg p400 head for sale1.jpg

Leroy can you weigh them? I'm planning to weigh my optimizer heads and a set of stock heads to see if there's any difference

Im just getting back for the day. I'll weigh one next day or 2.
Got your timing gear set mailed yesterday.

I have another set of used P400 heads and they were one diamond. I can't remember whats on my truck now.
One way to tell they are P400 heads is the bluing color around the valve seats from when they harden them.

I can't guaranty what precups will be in these two sets I have because I don't want to uncrate them.

These are not P400 heads. These are naturally aspirated 6.5 heads probably intended for a 6.2L.

Chris is right about the discoloration around the valves, this is from induction hardening. The P400 heads went to hardened seats in the head, shouldn't be hardening in the material around where the seats go. This is namely for cost savings from what I've researched.

Don't know what to tell you, These are AMG heads, they are also in AMG crates. One of my sources at AMG said they do infact do induction hardening on the P400 heads (witch was contradictory to what I had heard too). Ill call on Monday to confirm again.

In the pic of heads above look at the bluing marks, they make a straight line from about the outside diameter of the exhaust valve over to the intake valve.
Now look at my video of my P400 heads
I looked back at one of my videos. At 5:41 you can see what looks to be the same marks.
Not sure if this means anything yet. I'll be finding out though.

I'll post pics of my set, they have seats and no bluing at all..... and all p400's are not built for turbos, hence the difference's in heads...

Leroy, what cups were in your motor when you installed it?? By the video, your's have different cups also....

Last edited:
My contact said the term P400 is for the block, not the heads, if a turbo p400 is ordered the heads are different, they get seats and different cups, that adds cost and the correct heads would need to be ordered if only ordering heads...

Yes, the heads do have "567" for a casting # but all are not machined the same for this motor..

He stated if both seats are induction hardened then the head is for a NA motor and no seats installed...

This is coming from AMG ...

Last edited:
Chris, Im going to tend to agree with you, but I'll confirm on Monday.
Also came from AMG my guy had said these were P400 heads and that induction hardening was about the only way to ID them? My heads in the vid did not have the bluing either and as I stated have a single diamond precup.

What other ways can p400 heads be id'ed?

Back