• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P1093

lovemyhd

Reaction score
Just got this code......truck wouldnt go over 2000rpm's, other then that, it ran fine, and rode fine. Plugged in the Predator tuner when i got home and it said "unknown". I did a little research. Saw where it could be a bad fuel filter, low fuel pressure in the rail? Could this also be cause by VERY low temps gumming up my fuel? It was very cold last night.....i have never had to plug the truck in before, but, it started fine with the remote starter and less then 1/4 mile from the house, the CEL came on.
Solutions? Ideas?
Happy new year!!!! :grouphug:

Its a fuel starvation code. I learned my lesson up there not to get on it too much when it was bitter cold out. Actually, I learned my lesson with my 04 and I didnt make the same mistakes twice.

Your filter was starting to gel. You probably need to start running some kind of additive, Stanadyne, Power Services or Amsoil, if you aren't already.

When's the last time you changed your filter?

I wasnt getting on it, i was just driving.....i dont beat on it.....especially when i first get in and start driving. I was 1/4 mile from the house. I havent been running an addidtive....but do they carry a good one at my local auto parts store??
I think i only have about 6-7000 miles on the fuel filter.

I reset the DTC and have no codes, and revved it up a little.....it will go over 2000 now, so i think I'll have to take it for a test drive

Just because its got 7000 miles on the filter dosent mean its not gelling up. It's happened to alot of people, including myself.

You really should consider running an additive. I knew way too many people last year who gelled up and it wouldnt even start.

Additives can be expensive but its a simple piece of mind to gt you
from point a to point b.

And if you're limping it with just normal cruising around, your fuel was probably looking like jello.

I'm not sure. Wallmart has Power Services but I always ran Stanadyne.

We have a vendor here (Wrecker) who sells Amsoil additives and he's out of Pennsylvania. Its supposed to be good stuff for lubricity and to prevent from gelling up.

I personally always ordered online. It always ended up being cheaper.

Just checked the garage....i have an addidtive called POW-R PERFORMANCE Diesel Fuel Enhancer. It says it's a Cetane Improver and Lubricity additive. ULSD Compliant. Maximizes fuel lubrication, Increases power, stabilizes stores fuel, reduces NOx, cleans injectors, decreases fuel consumption. Will it help with my "Gel" problem or should i get something else for now, then order the good stuff online?

Thats probably a quick fix. I'll see if I can get Wrecker here to respond to you at some point before you buy anything. He's the resident fluids expert.

Thanks Nick. I was told by a buddy of mine that this is the "stuff" to use........but he runs a Cummins.....so i figured i better ask. And he doesnt know if this will help with the gelling issue, and i dont think i want to run 2 additives. He also told me that Wall World sells something called Emergency....that is supposed to take care of the gelling issue. I looked under the hood, and i cant find a plug anywhere! Where is it supposed to be? Is it possible the original owner ordered it without a block heater????

That Pow-R Performance stuff is made by PenRay, and it is not a winter additive and does nothing to prevent gelling.

Diesel Kleen / Power Service in the white bottle (get it at Walmart) will fix you up if you need something in the short term while waiting for something from an on-line vendor.

Hey, sorry I'm late. Bud is correct, no anti gel in what you had on the shelf. I recommend these products:

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=6605

Some additives contain an emulsifier (sucks water up into the fuel), which can cause premature wear on injectors and such. What you want is a demulsifier, (separates water from fuel) so the filter can pull the water out and not allow any water to pass through the injectors. Amsoil additives demulsify.

Amsoil fuel additives fared very well in an independent test commissioned by a group of diesel enthusiasts for lubricity testing, better than Stanadyne.

Let me know if I can help.

Ashton

In the winter months i change my fuel filter every 6-10k just to be safe. As far as gelling goes look in your area for a fuel station with a good reputation. In the winter months i only go to the local guy here in town, he cuts the fuel 50-50 with kerosene. My fuel milage isnt great but i have had 0 issues with gelling for the last 2 yrs and i dont run any additive.

Hey just chiming in to say thanks. A buddys lly just threw this code last night and we were trying to figure why it would throw that code. So i guess cold and extra power equals llys not getting enough fuel... anyway thanks for your guys' knowledge on the subject:smile5:

Back