• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0403 on an '06 LLY

dgleason

Reaction score
Took my truck in this morning for an ECM software upgrade. Service manager told me that is the starting point. Was told the tech believes that an ECM update wouldn't help and the EGR valve needs replacement. The dealer had 3 of the 4 gaskets needed, going back tomorrow morning for the EGR valve.

stacks04 mentioned something about a $100 deductible a couple days ago which I didn't understand at the time, I thought my 3/36 warranty was over and that's all there is. Now I understand. The diesel components carry a 100K warranty. That was a good news to know this thing won't cost me any more than $100.

The ECM update is another $100. You guys think I should tell them to update it right away or leave it alone? I've only had the truck for the last year, it could have been updated already. I'll definitely ask what version is currently installed now.

I'll let you know the course this takes until it is resolved.

Have the vin run here in our VIN Check section and you can view the service history that was performed on the truck if you haven't already. It may already have the latest ECM calibrations installed- the dealer can tell you for sure, but in case you want to check to see what the history is. There was an update to correct the EGR valve sticking if I'm not mistaken because I had it updated in mine back a couple of years ago.

It's the 3rd item on the list:
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=3392&highlight=saratoga

This morning the dealer replaced the egr valve and updated the pcm and tcm. Not exactly sure what each of these are but think the pcm is for the engine and tcm for the tranny, In addition to the valve, the line items say "pcm and tcm calibration updates" and "reprogram pcm and tcm and relearn trans shift taps". I believe this means I have the latest program updates.

Left the dealer and drove to work, seems to run about the same except the check engine light is out. Hopefully this will do it.

EGR valves are a common problem on the 3rd generations for some reason. Mine went bad at around 33k and was replaced under warranty. I know I got the latest updates too because my Hypertech wouldnt work after that.

I have had a blocker plate on mine since 13K miles and sometimes I still get an egr code with 60K on the clock. Damn valve sticks sometimes even with nothing running through it. Had it checked twice already and the tech commented how clean my truck runs:D. He said sometimes they just hang up for a second and it throws the code. He wanted to replace it but I saw no point in the extra down time for a code now and then that I can clear.

At this point mine is completely stock. As long as the engine is in warranty I'll probably leave it stock unless this problem comes back. In colorado there's a smog test that needs to be done every couple years when renewing the license plates. Not sure about the impact the egr has on the outcome of the smog test. Apparently some trucks run clean without it.

The tech that diagnosted the problem said the valve was sticking too. That's why he did just the valve and left the egr motor alone.

I see several have had the P0403 problem. I couldn't tell if these are one time problems or if the problem eventually comes back again. Has anyone had P0403 problems later on?

Silverradoman - sounds like you have had this happen more than once. Roughly what was the mileage each time it happened?

If the egr continues to fail every 40-50K, then the blocker may be the way to go. I'll wait and see. This is the first time for my truck at ~46K.

Mine was at about 34000 miles. I could not notice the truck running any different, just the codes and the check engine light came on. I think my EGR Valve was stuck in the closed position. Dealer reflashed the EGR, then replaced the valve and motor. Good to go for now. I have the blocker plate and stick, just waiting to put it in. ;)

just had mine done @11183 mls... only replaced the motor not the valve hope this fixes this ... im tired of going to the dealer and waiting

Put you a blocker plate and finger stick. Installed mine no problems anymore and a lot less smoke when I nail it. I had 8k on the clock when I had problems with the EGR and put my Blocker and fingerr stick in @ 36k now I've got 48k and haven't had any issues (yet)

Back