• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

p0236 & De-fuel

DIYORPAY

Reaction score
I seem to have the same trouble as trainedpro. (see limp mode) At WOT going up steep hill, truck only i have 10 psi on autometer gauge in cab and i de-fuel and ses light comes on.:mad2: This is on the 96 truck in sig. I took a snapshot and this is what it said.
Calc Load....................100.00%
ECT..............................186 deg. F
RPM..............................2835
VEH Speed....................64mph
IAT.................................264 deg. F

I erased the code and hooked up a cheapy boost gauge to see if my gauge was off and it read 12 psi when it de-fueled(same hill wot):mad2::mad2:

I need to tow 9000lbs (5th wheel camper) for about 600 miles. How can i do that without de-fueling? It happened almost instantly after towing it 20 miles last time. Will an intercooler by itself allow me to tow? Also.....i have a GM5 turbo. What is max(under load) psi i can run without going into limp mode?

The intercooler is on its way here(Thanks Jim!!) but do i need more or should that suffice? ATT,GL4 would be nice but not yet.

Thanks.....Brian

You need to trick your computer. You need to either go to a 3 bar MAP sensor or put in a 10K Ohm POT.

You need to trick your computer. You need to either go to a 3 bar MAP sensor or put in a 10K Ohm POT.

I already have a 10k Ohm resister soldered on green wire on map. Doesn't seem to fool it. It worked on my 95. Maybe i can add 5k more.

I already have a 10k Ohm resister soldered on green wire on map. Doesn't seem to fool it. It worked on my 95. Maybe i can add 5k more.

Not to say that you did it wrong but re-check how you did it. 10K should be all you need to fool the ECM.

Or, you can go buy a MAP sensor for a Buick Grand National, 1987. These were 3 BAR MAP sensors for that car.

The gm programing starts to defuel with intake air temps over 240 for more than 30 seconds. At least this is what I have observed through a scan tool. You may want to look at your air filter and always get air from outside the engine compartment.

Boost is only one aspect of the defueling mode in the PCM program. High IAT temps add to latent heat build up in the engine causing accelerated coolant loads. This is just my two cents worth of observation.

even with the 10k pot the ecm will read the boost curve change the map to 3 bar or buy the upgradrd ecm to pull 9000 the ecm would serve you better

"You may want to look at your air filter and always get air from outside the engine compartment."

I have a cone filter in stock box sucking air through fender. Snorkel missing. Not sure what else i could do about cool air. Maybe a side scoop on fender? LOL!!

Back