• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0046 code

3500 dually

Reaction score
Okay guys, need some help. I have got a check engine light twice now with a P0046 boost control solenoid code. the truck seems to be running good. I clear the code and it came back after driving about 30miles, clear the code again. Any suggestions on diag. this code? The truck is a 2005 with 113000 miles. I appreciate any help that can be offer.

P0046 is a boost solenoid performance code. It is set when the turbo veins actual does not follow desired. It can be caused by either a broken inducer ring which causes the turbo veins to stick, bad solenoid, sludged solenoid, or a bad/sticking turbo vein postion sensor. I was just helping a friend with this code along with a P2563 on Friday, and his ended up being a coked turbo. The oil circuit that supplies oil to the soelnoid and turbo vain controls was plugged up with nasty coked oil. We had to pull the solenoid, run it through my ultrasonic cleaning tank for 10 minutes to free it up and get the burnt coked oil out of it, put the solenoid back in, then pull the sensor out, and clean it up. Also while we had the solenoid out I took a screwdriver and rag and wiped out some of the mess from inside the turbo. It got it back working again to get him going, but is only a short term fix. others have said they switched to synthetic oil to help clean the coking out of the inside of the turbo.

Thanks for the input, today I got a p2563 also. I need to get my hand a scanner to select solenoids and watch actual. I guess I will switch to synthetic oil.

So I ran the scanner on the truck today and commanded the vanes from 0% to 100% and I did not get a smooth transition. It move from 0 to 100 but it bounce around a lot. I am going pull the solenoid tomorrow to see if it is binding any. Do i need to go thru a relearn after this. What needs to be done to prevent this again? Different oil? Do I need to pull turbo and clean the ring and vanes? I do run the truck hard at times and it is driven everyday. Any additional help is thankful.

I'm not 100% sure but unless you change (replace ) the solenoid or position sensor you don't need to do a relearn.

Unless you replace the vane sensor, a relearn shouldn't be needed. Be VERY careful pulling the solenoid out as the bolt that holds it in can EASILY drop down into the valley and be gone forever.

Well guys a long day today working on the duramax. After pulling the solenoid finding nothing and moving freely, i pull the the snap ring and plug on the other side. Tried to move the vanes found they were stuck. Found out dodge has a T.S.B. on this which drills the bell of the turbo and tap it to put a port in to clean. The number is 11-001-08. I elected to pull the turbo and clean the vanes. Found all but three vanes stuck. I know they are clean and moving freely now. Question though, do I need to go thru a relearn since I did not change the sensor. I put alignment marks on turbo before taking apart to make sure the turbo gets index back in the same spot. Goes back together tomorrow.

Well i got duramax back together and just got back from a test drive. Monitor pids of desire vane position and actual all is working ok. Truck is running much better and maintains boost, also no codes. Its a lot of work but I think this is the best way to clean those vanes. A shout out to the The Truck Stop website and all those that help out. Thank You!
David.

Back