• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oy

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
Problem: Explain your problem in concise language (ie: Cranks but won’t fire). ____________Misfiring badly then seems to correct itself and run fine________________

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: ___1998___
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) ____c/3500_____
- Automatic or Standard ____Auto______
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) ____64,3XX_____
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) ____IP and PMD at(57,802m), new fuel filter at (57,900m), new LP at(new lift pump 57,900m)_______
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? ______F / Turbo________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) ____varies between 20 & 50 F______
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) ____Straight Diesel(not sure if they have changed back to #1)_____
- What fuel additives are you using? _____Powerservice(been using white bottle then switched to grey just this fill up thanks to higher temps.)______
- Where are you located? ______Jackson, NJ_______

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter ____57,900_____
- Fuel filter ____57,900_____
- CDR Valve? ____never as per my ownership(yeah I know I gott replace it)_____
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at ______never unde my ownership_______
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at ____Castrol Techion Extra 15W-40 at 64,000_______
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at _____dual optima yellow tops, matched, age I believe to be 06?________
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): _____Custom interface all using anti-ox_________
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? ____unknown_____ What type? _____________
- Injectors - last changed at ______never_________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? ______driving down the highway________
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? ______yes_______
- Has this problem ever happened before? ___________sadly, yes____________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. _______stupid friggin PMD on the IP, unknown condition of OPS_______
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) ____ And? ___Borrow a friends code reader tomorrow_____

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? ___yes______
1b] Does the engine crank over? ____yes____
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? ____yes_____
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? ____alsolutly____
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? ___Yes, but irrelvant since my glow plugs are manual_____
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? ____yes_____ For how long? ____20 seconds when cold, till the light goes out when warm(swtich controlled at my command)_____
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? ____usual little puff of black____

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? _____yes, while cycling glow plugs, need to check during running_______
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? ____need to check tomorrow_____
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ______tomorrow_____
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? ____tomorrow_____
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? _____very slight______

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) _____pump______
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? ____N/A_____
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. ____grounds on IP are newl done at 57,000 when IP/PMD was replaced_____
3d] PMD Make: _____Standyne______
3e] PMD Age: ______about 7,000 miles_______

4] Stalling Issues
4a] Do you experience stalling only when hot? ______not yet______
4b] Does it stall under particular circumstances? (ie hit bump, or on accel) ___no___
4c] Does pouring cool water over the IP seem to help with restarting? ____N/A_____
4d] Is stalling momentary (engine recovers)? ____YES_____
4e] Does SES light come on when engine hiccups? ___no______
4f] Does cruise control quit working when engine hiccups? _____i dont have cruise control...______
4g] Does re-starting seem to reset engine, restoring cruise and power? ____hasn't stalled yet_____
4h] Changes to dash lights or instruments during stalling events? _____RPM's have sudden drop then recovers______

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? ___need to check tomorrow____
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? ___tomorrow____
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? _____tomorrow_____
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? ___no______
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? _____no_____

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges? _____stock______
6b] Maximum boost under load? _____unknown, stock_______
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? ______no________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? _______mandrel bent 3" downpipe with 3"'s of stright pipe to end of the bed_________
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum? _______vacumn_______

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? ____single________
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? ____no_____
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? ______sadly, no, need time______
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? ___no_____
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? ____has never overheated on me______
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? ______had been, warm now_____

List and describe any other factors which are not addressed in this checklist. We can’t see, hear, smell, or touch your truck, so the more descriptive information you can give, the more likely it is that somebody can assist you

About a week ago I could feel it hickup about 3 times in a row coming back from farmingdale picking up m mothers car that had just ogtten work done. Doing about 70mph and felt it hickup those 3 times, then everything was fine. Havent had a problem since then, till today. I was driving home from work and it hickuped 3 times again. Except this time it was ALOT more noticable. Roughtly a 500RPMS drop and a sudden lurch. It would seem to catch itself, then do it agiain. Third time was the last and after that it drove like nothing was wrong.

I'm going to be doing the OPS mod soon(solenoid with OPS on the low current feed).

I'm also going to add that my original theroy was that since I have a 4.10 final drive and doing 70mph down the highway that it skipped a little was due to a not running LP and the IP could keep up with the fuel draw. This theroy has been smashed with todays issue as I had just come out of a turn, was accelerating, then it misfired the three times.

As always, I greatly appreciate the help ya'll.

Mine did that, some times 2 hiccups, sometimes severe, sometimes not. I relocated a new PMD/cooler off the engine but still in the engine compartment and it was good for a year until the weather got hot again and the same routine started but with the occassional stall thrown in for excitement. This time I relocated another new Pmd on the cooler into the bumper and haven't had a whiff of trouble since.
That is until the transfer case grenaded at 120+ kph, but I doubt that was the PMD....:rolleyes5::D

I kind figured so. I'm putting in an oder at rockauto today for a new OPS, a solenoid for the mod, and a new parking brake release lever that I murdered when I pulled the dash apart a few months ago.

Has anybody ever had issues with the Dtech PMD? If I'm going to get rid of the POS Standyne then I minus well get something I'll never want to replace while remote mounting.

Has anybody ever had issues with the Dtech PMD? If I'm going to get rid of the POS Standyne then I minus well get something I'll never want to replace while remote mounting.

All of the FSDs have had reported problems under heat conditions. I don't think it is the problem with the Stanadyne PMD per se. It is the problem of GM having engineered the PMD assuming continuous fuel flow through the IP. The general consensus is that heat soak after shut down is what causes the death. The PMD/FSD is not really at fault- it is actually a fairly robust electronics piece.

-Rob :)

good point there. I think, personally, that even with the continuous fuel flow over the PMD that it isn't exactly the best. Dual 500W transistors will put out alot of heat plus with the help of being mounted in the "V" of the engine. But aside from my 2 cents and the functionality of the PMD, which would be a good PMD to go with? I'm fabricating my own design so an "isolator kit" wont be neccasary per say, however I'd like to see who says what reguarding what PMD's

Bill Heaths is a Standyne IIRC. And I've head about the DTECH and Dipaco units. The Dipaco is apparently cheaper (in price) compared to the Standyne model.

Certainly could be the PMD, but I'd check fuel delivery first. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can attach to the T-valve? A non running lift pump might cause you to starve for fuel under load (like at 70 mph with 4.10 gears). A plugged fuel filter would do it, or a clogged fuel pickup. Just a thought.

Back