• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Overflow Coolant Tank Cap

Classified

Reaction score
My overflow tank didnt have a cap on it when I bought it last year. I tried buying one 2 times but didnt get the right one. I ended up just leaving it off.

Id like to get the cap if I could. Anyone have any pics of the stock cap or have any part #s for one? I dont want to got to the dealer to buy one since it will probably cost alot but I would like to have it capped.

Thanks!!

Call the dealer is fine. Try to check their website and find the number for their Internet sales part department.

Sometimes, they are cheaper than part store.

Of course, it is a regular radiator cap with a specified pressure. You can probably go to OReilly or Napa.

yeah, I don't think its that special. I wouldn't put on a cheap knock off one one but any quality Std GM cap should work.

Original for my 97 said 15 psi in top but GM quit stocking it and replaced it with 16 psi cap.

On rockauto, it only came up with 3 caps for my truck and the first 2 are the same as what I bought and the last one is the same size. The problem is, the opening on the tank is larger than the caps that are recommended. Ill have to get some measurements and pics today.

I did not expect it to be hard to fit and did know it was any different than normal GM radiator cap.

Did you try the part number from the sticky thread at top of the Forum?

It says OEM part number is 10409635.

Might try emailing gmpartsdirect dot com with your VIN for confirmation. I too dislike going to dealer for common parts when aftermarket is better quality and cost less too. But for little parts sometimes shipping expense negates any economy of buying it else where.

I assume LMC dot com would be an accurate part vs dealer but no real economy.

I figured out what im going to do.

I ordered a new tank that comes with the cap,LOL.

The current tank has old oil residue on it from when the engine blew before I owned it anwyway so its probably the best idea anyway.

I just looked on rock auto. The dorman cap#82601 looks like the caps on my 92 and 93. The other 2 look like a cap for a gasser that threads on.

The dorman 82601 looks just like the one on my '93. Of course it's not a pressurized cap as the '92-93 models are old-school types with the pressure cap on the radiator and the overflow is just a catch-can. :smile5:
Don

Back