• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Outlook issue

blizzardplowman

Crowd Control
Reaction score
Ok, I have outlook/office 2003 installed on my XP pro machine. The machine has service pac 3 and every update Microsoft has out installed. The thing is about every 3 days I can't log into Outlook, nothing happens. If I reboot the system I can log in. I used the 03 disc and did a repair which did not change anything. Any ideas?:crazy:

sounds like you have a bug running around in the memory. have you run a virus scan? make sure it scans the boot sector. some of the viruses will hide there in order to start before the virus scanner does.

Scans run daily, AVG 8.0, Adaware, spybot and Windows Defender. I will dlb check but IIRC they do scan the boot sector. I could boot to safe mode and run the AVG for grins....

My bad that is one of the comps I have Norton 360 on, but any way, ran all the stuff in safe mode today, didn't really find anything. Still having the issue though. Any more ideas?

have you tried a search on Microsoft help page. sometimes there's a patch missing. is this a new problem, like when something was updated or upgraded?

Started in the past 3 weeks....Updates are done weekly, might be an issue there. I will check the help site...thanks

you might have luck with finding out what updated when it started, whether it was windows itself or norton. there should be a log of when it the updates we're installed.

I had the same problem and manually updated and ran the scans you listed above and it seems to be OK now. It was weird that it just suddenly appeared and it seems to be gone now. It was about 3 weeks ago also that it started.

Try a full scan, instead of a quick scan. If you have no luck, you could go back in time prior to the update and start again.

do a system restore to a point a couple weeks before you started having problems and see if that fixes it.

There is an issue with Outlook.
If your mailbox file, which is a file with the suffix .pst is 2 GB in size or larger, all manner of bad things can happen. 2 GB is pretty huge, but if you use Outlook heavily on a daily basis, you can easily get a mailbox file that large. I have to archive and shrink my mailbox about twice a year.

You can check the size of yours by scrolling all the way to the bottom of the left pane "Folder List" and selecting "Folder Sizes" A little dialog box will come up that tells you how big your .pst file is, and how big each inbox folder is. If you are at or near 2 GB, you will need to archive some of your older stuff, then delete it from the inbox tree. Once you do that, you will want to compact your folders. Doing these 2 things on a semi-regular basis will keep Outlook running very nicely.

Hope this helps...

Back