• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Our New Shop

durallymax

Reaction score
Well guys i finally got around to getting pics of our new shop and writing up a description now that I have my new digital camera (Nikon Coolpix S550). Ive been using this thing a lot, for catchup on stuff ive always wanted to take pictures of. I bought it because it was tiny with a big screen and is a 10mega pixel camera. Fair price too. Anyways about the shop.

It is a 60x80 Morton building. We only build Morton buildings because of how overbuilt they are but mostly because of their warrenty. After our old freestall barn collapsed on new years eve in 2000 during nightime milking due to snowload, we will never build anything but Morton. You see insurance doesnt cover snowload. But Mortons warrenty does. If the paint starts to fade, pieces of the building arent true or are malfunctioning, or it completely fallsdown, they will fix it at no charge. Now they dont cover tornados or fire but insurance does.

here is a picture of their quality. It is a section of our loft. The post in the picture has two additional 2x8s on it that you cant see on the other side. They had to hire in a backhoe to dig the hole bacause they have to pour a concrete slab 4' in diameter by 6' deep

here is a pic from the outside

Ill start with the general dimensions and such. It is 60' wide by 80' long. Morton only builds wood buildings so it is made out of wood. However they are very anal about the construction and anything that could possibly get one drop of water on it, is green treated. The Inside ceiling height is 16' on the edges and peaks at 20' in the middle.

Heres an outside pic

The walls and celing are covered in acoustisteel and below the acoustisteel is 8' of 3/4" plywood. we used plywood as it allows us to hang anything anywhere. The acoustisteel is 2-3 times more than plain steel but is well worth it. it has a million holes in it which deaden the echoing. At first i didnt notice it, but when I set foot in our neighbors new shop without it, i noticed it big time. And when he started grinding I noticed that the acoustisteel isnt just for comfort but more for safety as I was deafened by the sound of his grinder all the way across the shop. In ours it sounds like a shop completely lined with plywood.

Here is a pic of the acoustisteel close up

One thing we learned is that you never have enough lights or outlets, so to adress this situation we decided to go seriously overkill and never regret it in the end. There is a total of 222 light bulbs on the ceiling. Half can be shut off and the row above the tool boxes can be turned on seperately. We went against the sodium hay lights as they take too long to power up. Let me just say its bright. and when we first built it and it was empty, it was a little too bright at night and I found myself turning half of them off. For the outlets we put recepticles with 4 plugins every 5' around the entire shop for a totoal of somewhere around 50 plug ins. We also have two welder plugs, one at the back of the shop and one at the front, but we have a 50' extenson cord so we can go anywhere with it.

here is a pic shouwing just how close the plugs are around the entire shop

Now every new farm shop has to have a loft to take advantage of the height of the celing. But the biggest issue is where to put it so that you have plenty of loft but keep it out of the way. After many different plans we decided on putting it in the back corner. It extends 30' across the west side of the shop and 30' across the north side. It comes out 12'. Now we just needed to find out where to put the steps to keep them out of the way. We opted to tuck them into teh corner and tuck the air compressor underneath them. However this made it harder to get large items upstairs so when me and my uncle made the railings we incorporated some gates so that we could lift things upstairs with the loader or the skidsteer.

Here is a pic from far away of the loft

Here are two pics of the lofts storage which is nowhere near close to full yet

here is a gate

here is a pic of the steps

We also new our dogs would need a new home in the cold winters so we installed a doggie door. Now I wish I had a pic before the plywood went up so you could see how ridiculous morton is. they framed it with green treated 2x8s that were stacked 3 thick. In addition they took time to add a nice door that we could use to close it off. The flp is magnetic so as long as the wind isnt too strong it closes and keeps the warm air inside. We also set up their kennels temporaily under the stairs(see above pic) to the loft but they will have to be moved when that area gets closed off.

Here is the doggie door

Now more importantly we needed to get equipment in and out because that is what a hop is for. Here too we went though many desings toying with the idea of bi fold doors, hydralic swing doors and overhead doors. we also had many different layouts but in the end just went with the overhead doors. A 24x16' in front, a 14x14' next to the big door and a 12x14' on the side. For people acess there is a walk in door in front and on the side. We also learned you can never have enough garage door openers. We probably have 15 of them now programmed to open any of the 3 doors.

If there was one thing we were sure on going into this shop it was how we were going to heat it. In floor heat, there really is no other way to go. Since the floor is warm, your body is always warm. and when you open the door it takes less than 5 minutes for the shop to recover. We toyed with gepothermal heating and cooling but settled on just using our existing wood burners. However the geothermal gave us a good idea, use our plate cooler water to cool the shop. It just gets wasted anyways due to federal law and is already at 54". so we added a large heat exhanger/de humidfier.

here is the a/c unit

Now for my toys. It didnt take much for me to talk my dad into adding a car lift and a nice welder. It did take a little bit to convice him to get his eyes out of the northern tool catalog and buy something nice. I settled on a Rotary S10i hoist which has the inbay feature. Anybody buying a rotary i strongly suggest the inbay feature. Its only $400 and well worth it. It moves to motor to the top of the hoist, out of the way and quiet.l It also removes the manual locking lever and replaces it with simple up/down and lower to locks buttons on both sides of the lift, which really comes in handy. In addition it also adds preplumber air and electrical hookups as well as tool hangers. I love this lift and it gets used all the time. One thing we shouldve changed was moving it out 1' more from the loft. Once the office walls go up I wont be able to get between the post and the wall. My other toy as I mentioned was the welder. I knew what I wanted and ended up getting a Miller, Millermatic 252 welder. I knew from previous experience that these are the most versitile welder and are great for people who arent pros at welding like the other employees at our farm. We have it set up with both .035 wire and .045 flux core wire so that we can weld anything from 18awg to 1' plate.

Here is the lift

here is the welder

we knew we wanted a bathroom and an office, and also knew the air compressor needed to be insulated for noise reasons. These items arent done yet. But we will be pluming the air lines soon with 4 hose reels, 2 will be non oiled and 2 will be oiled. we will also have other hookup spots by the bench for short hoses and also two big hookups for our large impact guns.Teh office and bathroom will be built shortly too.

here is where they will be. The bathroom will be closest to the point of photo and has a sink, toilet and shower, the office will extend to where the snowmobile sits and will have manuals and the internet for looking up diagrams. We also hope to add an inventory and repair order system to the computer The entire famr is linke dwith fiber optics so tieing the systems together is no problem.

We knew from past experinces that some of our employees tend t0o walk away with tools. Since nobody returns them or fesses up we added security cameras. One that watches the outside and one that watches the inside. These are tied into the systenm with the other cameras around the farm.

here is the eye in the sky.

this shop is definately a step up from our old shop which was just a finished off corn crib. we used that very effecintly for what it was but it simply didnt have the space.

Here is the outside

Here is the inside (That stroker is my gmas not ours)

here is an arial pic which shows the size difference.

You will also notice in the arial pic that our shop isnt straight. That is because we angled it slightly to make it easier to back semis in without tearing up our front lawn

heres a couple other pics

thats all for now, im sick of typing. Any questions just ask.

Beautiful place you have their Vinny.

I'm in love with that shop! Plenty of working room..:D

we cant seem to keep up right now. we have two big wood burners and cant cut it fast enough. had to switch the house over the LP for now as we ran out of corn to burn

That's real nice! I'm getting ready to build my 2nd shop at the Sycamore place as soon as I get the farm sold and the pole barn (32 x 54 to be expanded) is right next to my OWB so I'll have that heated floor too. Can you tell me any tips about installing it? Alot of your ideas are running through my head about now. Beautiful farm and a shop to take pride in Vinny!

installing the floor itself?? Pay somebody to do it.

We did it ourselves in the calf barn and after fighting that stuff we said screw it when it came to the shop.

Its an art, and we didnt have the skills.

that pex tubing is a PITA to get straight. Its a battle that you never win.

Well guys were finally getting settled in to it.

The bulk oil setup is finally done and holds 100 gallons of 15w40 100g of Hydraulic fluid, 50 gallongs of 80w90, 50 gallons of green antifreeze concentrate 50 gallons of Dex III ATF, and the other 50 gallon drum were not sure about yet. We also have a 35 gallon drum of 30w on the floor.

We also collect all of our waste oil in 300 gallon totes now and a lot of our neighbors and other people we know collect it for us too as we are putting in a waste oil burner to supplement heating this winter.

Probably the nicest addition to the shop (aside from the Wi-Fi internet) is the hydraulic hose making setup we have. We can make any hose with any style fittings from 1/4" to 1 1/4" But current only have 1/4,3/8,1/2 and 3/4 hose and fittings in stock. NAPA has a good deal where they give you a hosemaker and fitting organizer for free as long as you buy the fittings and hose from them. They check it every time they are out(at least once a week) and restock as needed. We never have to do anything. The upfront cost was about $2,500 but it will pay itself off fast. Everything NAPA sells is Eaton weatherhead so its good stuff.

We are also setup with NAPA on just abpout everything else in our shop. The filter setup is nice too. We have two of every filter in stock and when one is used they restock it. They check this at least once a week too.

We also have our bolt bins setup with them in both US and Metric. As well as some specialty things like stainless bolts for the parlor and such.

Our air lines are finally plumbed and we ended up using PEX tubing with drops every 10' and two hose reels for now a 3/8" one and a 1/2" one for the big impact.

We still need to build the office and bathroom but were getting there.

I have some pics on my camera at home that i took just after i scrubbed the floor. Hopefully i remember to get them when i go home this weekend.

Nice shop!! pex isn't to bad if you use an unroller. Unrolls it so it doesn't have so many kinks. For a concrete floor use flat wire mesh and use the grid in the mesh for your tubing layout. On wood floors they make a special stapler to fasten it to the plywood. If you are using blueboard ,foam insulation, they also make a stapler for fastening to it.

Oil Burner is now in and ready to supplement the infloor heating.

weve collected 1,500 gallons thus far and it uses 1 gallon and hour. well see how it works out this winter.

I'd say over 300,000 when it's allsaid and done with tools and everything but it's a small price to pay for the amount of money it's saving our farm. We fix nearly everything we are capable of knowledge wise and if I do go back to school for diesel technology we will be doing all of our own work but I'm still undecided as of now.

The most recent edition to the shop was very nice 3/4" torque wrench with a rang of 100-600lbs it was pricey but well worth it.

I finally have the pics of the shop when it was all sparkly clean before winter came. also have a pic of the hose maker and oil setup.

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

Last edited:
Back