• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Optimum placement of lift pump?

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok im keeping the main details of the project this is for close to the vest for a bit till i am sure its happening. But I may wind up putting my 6.2 into something other then my '69 GMC and using my spare 6.5 Turbo Diesel in that truck instead. More then likely i will be using a fuel cell in this vehicle and need to know the best placement for a lift pump. All i will say for now that it will be a car it will be in. Can something like the Walbro pump that Leroy sells be mounted in the rear near the fuel cell? Or will it need to be closer to the engine?

pumps push better than pull so closer to the tank is better

x2 and below the level of the fuel helps.

Ive got a 70 4x4 Chevy that I converted to a BB chevy. A 6.5 should drop right in. If your 69 is 4x4 the 6.5 won't fit without major mods.

x2 and below the level of the fuel helps.

Ive got a 70 4x4 Chevy that I converted to a BB chevy. A 6.5 should drop right in. If your 69 is 4x4 the 6.5 won't fit without major mods.

It is 2wd atm but it is being converted to 4x4. So thats good to know! Now i can release a bit more info...the 6.2 is going into a 1968 Chevelle SS clone. So im not really sure where i can place the pump just yet.

Well, Ive also got a 72 Chevelle and I put a Holley Blue pump up high above the axle and close to tank. Walbro is of simular size. I have often thought of the same swap.

Well, Ive also got a 72 Chevelle and I put a Holley Blue pump up high above the axle and close to tank. Walbro is of simular size. I have often thought of the same swap.

Good to know, So i would be best off to place the walbro in roughly the same area? and mount my pre pump filter near the fuel cell and of course a second filter in the engine bay?

I bet it would get pretty good mileage in a lighter package

Given its been known to get 20+ mpg in the 1/2 tons, yea it should. Transmission choice is still in the air ranging from a TH700R4 to a TH400. I may look into trying to shoehorn a 4L80E trans into it. Cant see it taking up much more space then a TH400 but i still forsee some floor mods which given the car does need floor pans is good timing lol. Its probably a pipe dream to even consider putting in an NV4500 lol

Good to know, So i would be best off to place the walbro in roughly the same area? and mount my pre pump filter near the fuel cell and of course a second filter in the engine bay?

10-4 good buddy:thumbsup:

Ive got the 4L80E in mine.

The original 6.2 applications had the old school mechanical pump on the front of the engine driving off a eccentric on the cam. Those pumps had big diaphragms and had no problems priming themselves. They sucked real good. :thumbsup:
I mention this in case you might want to go minimalist with the electrics.

The original 6.2 applications had the old school mechanical pump on the front of the engine driving off a eccentric on the cam. Those pumps had big diaphragms and had no problems priming themselves. They sucked real good. :thumbsup:
I mention this in case you might want to go minimalist with the electrics.

Thanks for the info, I might just stay NA and set it up as a pro touring car. Ideally I would like to run a 4L80E with one of leroys optishift computers and take advantage of the dual profile programming, I would have a Touring and a Sport mode.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

Back