• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Optimizer 6500

Mike K3500

Reaction score
Alright guys...

Will the military take out Optimizers take 20psi ??

From all the info I have been able to track down, the Optimizers are supposed to be 20:1 engines. When I get mine from Ted's, I plan on putting head studs in and possibly the .010 thicker head gaskets in it also.

The info that I have came across for the HX 40 is they are cheap, plentiful and waste gated to 20 psi, as for this choice of the turbo, well it's because they are cheap and are supposed to be a tad better then the gm8

I do not plan on Towing heavy or regularly, maybe on very rare occasions, and I'm not trying to make my Dually a drag racer..

I just want it to run really good and be really reliable

Mike

i would invest in an intercooler or wmi if you want to take it to 20 psi. yes it will probably take it but for how long is the question. but it will probably hold it better than any gm block would.

I would say no problem with head studs and better gaskets, and the HX 40 is WAY better than the GM8. My HX35 is a fair amount bigger than my gm4 and the hx 40 is bigger than my hx35. And hx40 also has a 4 inch out let so you will have to SQUEEZE a 4 inch down pipe. You can run more than 20 psi on an hx 40 also.

It should take it fine with the studs and +.01 gasket. My stock engine takes it fine. IATs get ridiculous 300F and over with the GM4 after a minute of sustained acceleration to 120+ mph. But just hitting 20psi on normal accelration is fine. If not towing I wouldnt bother with the intercooler.

Well, I'm sure I'll occasionally tow something, but I'm also sure that most often it will be less then 5,000 lbs... Even though I have a lack of experience with the 65's that most you guys have, and after researching the improved Optimizers, I just find it hard to believe that they couldn't take 15 - 20 psi, IF set up accordingly with: cooling - exhaust - intake - fuel delivery - head studs - turbo upgrades.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

The only thing holding you back on boost is the choke point of the GMx turbo being 15 PSI. Above that it is more of an intake heater than anything else. A better turbo lets you go higher with boost. Heads studs also allow this higher boost.

Back