• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ops relay harness

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok given that the problems that im having with my truck started after taking it through the car was I am wondering if the bypass wiring on the lp wasnt damaged by the high pressure undercarrage wash. The way the wiring was done was that the original power wire from the ops was cut and taped off, then a wire was ran up to the fuse box. Now the wire to the fuse box was joined together by one of those marrionette (sp?) Caps that you usually see in house hold electrical comnections, I have honestly been warry about this from day one. So im planning on doing what leroy has suggested to me in a couple other threads and that is return to using the ops as my trigger for the relay.

Now my question is this will 14 ga wire be heavy enough for this or should I pick up some 12 ga? Also what size of relay will I need?

I plan on using spade connectors at each connecton between the trucks wiring and the new harness, the type of spade connectors im using have interlocking covers on them for a weather resistant seal, plus I plan on sealing them to the wires with heat shrink tubing and wrapping the connection itself with electrical tape that way I can quickly disconnect the relay harness from the truck should I ever need to to run without the relay in the system.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

Marettes in an automotive application.....LOL!

Some people should just stick to turning the key and putting fuel in their cars.

But, I'd set it up correctly if I were you. While it may or may not be the cause of your problems now, it will become one in the future....

edit: just noticed your sig line, I've got an 85 VF750F also:

b623.jpg

Not quite stock anymore but only those who know the breed can tell......;)

Marettes in an automotive application.....LOL!

Some people should just stick to turning the key and putting fuel in their cars.

But, I'd set it up correctly if I were you. While it may or may not be the cause of your problems now, it will become one in the future....

edit: just noticed your sig line, I've got an 85 VF750F also....

I have seen pics of yours on a couple sites. Looks good on the cbr wheels. I plan on doing that upgrade to mine one day and running Avon distanza dual sport/super moto tires.

Yea I agree it may become an issue later. The way im gonna set up the spades is that in the event of blowing the relay I can just unplug it from the system and plug the two halves of the spliced wire together and run it as gm designed it till the relay can be replaced.

I'd use weather pack connectors if it's going to be outside the cab.

But I've been told I'm a bit too "fussy" about that stuff....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I knew where to get single pin weather pak connectors..heck get weather pack connectors period I would be all over using them on a lot of projects. I like the self sealing design of them and more then likely use them in both my bikes and trucks.

If I knew where to get single pin weather pak connectors..heck get weather pack connectors period I would be all over using them on a lot of projects. I like the self sealing design of them and more then likely use them in both my bikes and trucks.

Lordco has them on the shelves.

I can't remember if they're made it that far east yet though.

I used to be able to walk in to Napa or any of the other jobber stores in Moosejaw and pic them up off the shelves or the guys had them in the back...

Will def take a look around to see if i can source them out here in town on the check im using the buy the components. Which will prob be the 16th of next month. Now back to one of my prior questions. Will 14 ga wire be enough?

I'm not up on what amps a wire gauge will carry anymore but I think 14 ga. would do it.

If you know what the amp draw is and the length of the run a Google search should show what you need.

Found out while replacing the lift pump in my truck two things...One the OE harness is about 14 Ga and the fact that the po of the truck didnt hack the harness like i thought. he basically just cut the plug off of the pump and taped the ends off then plugged the end back into the OE harness like a dust cap. Also the Marrettes have been eliminated in that with those interlocking spade connectors i mentioned earlier. But its nice to know i can just plug in an OE pump if ever needed. Now that i know that the OE harness is intact i will prob go looking for some weatherpak connectors for my relay harness so i can just plug it into the original plug and into either another OEM replacement pump or a walbro like the ones leroy sells.

Back